Tank set up

thundercats075

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am just wondering what peoples tanks look like :D. I love to see what the little guys get to live in. Please post pictures of your tanks. Mine will be up and running soon had to over hual mine and want to see other peoples.

Might I present the overhaul to my 4ft tank I did on the weekend? So far, Izzie, Peta and Bertie are VERY happy (I think Freddie, George and Phree would be jealous if they weren't such wusses when it comes to the temperature (As they so aptly demonstrated yesterday when their heat sink chiller iced over and stopped working, and the temp in their tank wasn't even 21c!), and as such stubbornly refuse to leave their summer tank *Facepalm*), and I frequently tell people that I have THE COOLEST nightlight in the world :D!
Currently, the tank is inhabited by 3 axies, 8 adult guppies, 20-40 baby guppies, and a whole lot of shrimp.

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 110
Currently red cherries which I traded on here (THANKS DAVID :D:D:D:D!!!) (Sooo adorable!) But I may be getting some native aussies to add in in a few weeks... Personally, i think they're wonderful, keep the gunk levels pretty low, look wonderful, great to play games with *Count the shrimpies*, and generally quite friendly (The axies, I think, like to catch them and eat them occasionally. In my case, if my hand/arm is in there long enough, chances are one or two brave souls will come up and give it a shrimp cleaning. I love it, even if it leaves my skin welty for the rest of the day *Facepalm* (And it's not their fault, I'm just allergic. Wouldn't give any of them up for anything, though!)

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 80
Caitie, do your guppies and shrimp breed in the axie tank?

I've had cherries in the axie tank, but they havent actually lasted long enough to see if they would breed or not. At 18 celc my tank is on the lower tolerance range for them, so i was curious to see if they would breed in the chilled tank - they got eaten within a few days and the few scattered survivors appear to be all male.

I've also steered away from guppies for the same reason. I'm told 18 c is a bit low for guppies so i wasn't sure if they would actually breed.

What temp is your tank normally, and does it allow the cherries and guppies to breed?

Bren

For the past few weeks, it's been between 21-19.5c (Which I'm rather amazed about), and it looked like one of the guppies dropped some more babies this morning.I've currently got six breeding females in the tank, two males (And one more female who decided that she wanted to come out in the family room into the backup tank, which is now looking on the verge of crashing *Facepalm*) I started off with a massive bag full of shrimp from David on here (not sure exactly how many, but I've counted in excess of twenty spread between the backup and the 4ft), and it looks like the females are all saddling well, and all of them are rather secure when it comes to emerging and cleaning up. I've occasionally seen the axies munch the baby guppies. (First morning I had Peta, I came up to say good morning, she sort of smiled, turned her head left and sucked in the totally unaware baby guppy floating by. The adults learnt quickly to stay away from them, although Bozo nearly got himself munched again last night (I don't know what I'm going to do about him)

Once I get the chiller, I'll be aiming for 19.5, which should be just right for all the inhabitants (Also, I've got a heap of java moss, other plants, the Sacrificial Alter and the rock-sculpture which all had hiding spaces for the babies to hide if they need to. I also try and keep everyone well enough fed that incidents of "eat thy neighbor" are minimized. Fingers crossed it stays stable!

Bren, I think guppy will breed at just about any temperature.

I used to keep guppy as a kid, and they really used to take off at 26c and with a teaspoon of salt in the tank and adding lots of plants and hides for the guppy help to stop the males from pestering the females all the time, and I found that the females produce more young if they were left alone.

I am interested in trying shrimp, but I have no idea were to get them for a reasonable price in perth, my LFS is charging $16 each for red cherry shrimp! :O

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back