Question: Aquatic Juveniles???

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Ok well my 2 little newts from Eva are growing nicely and seem to be spending more time in the water now, just short spells mind due but today I got the shock of my life when I found Garfield floating, touched him and he did not move so picked him up to put him on the rock and he was alive :grin: to say I panicked was an understatement! So anyway I have been watching them this afternoon and even as I type they are both in the water but one seems to float and not in a bad way if that makes sense more like relaxing.. he sits there for a bit, moves a bit, has a swim and then chills a bit more, whereas the bigger one seems to act more newt like and sits at the bottom :). In my experience of newts and not juvies I though newts chilled at the bottom not 3/4 the way up in the water or is this a juvie thing??

Also if they are now spending more time in the water when will I know they are ready for their tank I will obviosuly make sure it has loads of things coming out of the water and a docking area?? Thanks Zoe

Last edited:
The one that stays in the bottom, is starting to become aquatic, but the other one sounds like it´s not ready yet. That´s the typical behaviour of a newt that is in terrestrial phase but is "trapped" in water. Make sure he can get out very easily.
I would consider moving them to a more aquatic tank when they are at least 6-6,5 cm long and willing to eat underwater.

Thanks Azhael was hoping you or Eva may reply to this :happy:

Well at least they are well on their way cannot wait to get them out of tupperware into their tank and have already upgraded their tank from a 30cm one to a 46cm one so just got to swap things around. They have 3 rocks and plants in their container so easily can get out of the water if needs be.

Should I be putting more food into the water?? Have been putting Daphnia in which they have eaten most of it, shoudl I start putting bloodworms in and if so live or frozen?

Thanks so much!

Zoe

Offering food in the water is the best way to persuade them, so give it a try. Some of mine eat frozen bloodworms and earthworm pieces underwater. If you have live, all the better, but frozen should do fine.
Be patient, they will eventually become fully aquatic, and when they do, be prepared, they´ll probably grow like crazy!

Ok will do. Daphnia has been a good start so will see what else will tempt them.

Have never seen them in the water like this they are not on their rocks much now at all so am pleased they are progressing :happy:

Thanks for your advice and help on this will keep on going as we are and will check back in again when I think they may be ready.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back