Future Axolotl Keeper

Anette

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hello Everyone!
I'm new here and I join to become more knowledgeable in Axolotl keeping. I don't have any as of right now, but I have always been fascinated by them. I recently bought my aquatic turtle a 80 gallon tank. I'm hoping to make her old 55g to a axolotl tank. But I want make sure I get the right set up first. Looking forward to interacting with everyone in the forums. :happy:

Hi there & welcome :D

Sounds like a plan and you have so much information to hand being on here and we are all willling to help with any questions you may have :)

Here's some info on setting up ...

Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

The main thing to remember is use sand (make sure its thoroughly rinsed through first) or have a bare bottomed tank for your axie, have some hides, plants, low wattage light & a not too powerful filter and your all good to go.

Good luck!

Good choice in wanting an axolotl! They are awesome animals, but I had to wait a torturous year and a half to get mine.

~ Yes, do remember axolotls do not needlighting at all. They have no eyelids, so
bright light will bother them.

Thank you for the Welcome! ^_^

I'm currently adding silica sand to both my turtle tank and 30g fish tank, so my experience working with the tanks I have will help me when I set up my axie tank. I won't use silica sand for my axie tank, I rather play it safe and buy aquarium sand.
Turtles are obviously the complete opposite, I have to worry about lighting and heating the water. I'm actually very excited to go the other extreme, working with aquarium chillers will be a new experience for me.
I live in ABQ, New Mexico, and the law here requires me to have a permit to import axolotls, I guess that includes eggs. So we'll see ;) it might be a year until I can get a hold of one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back