Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How soon?

reptadude

Reaction score
I currently own two axolotls each about 2 months old. They are growing like weeds and i love watching them but i recently had to put a tank devider in because they were getting to get to the size where they are starting to remove hands, fingers, and tips of tails from each other. My GFP lucistic has alread regrown 2 fingers and a whole hand only to lose his hand again a few days ago. I know they are cannabilistic at a young age but I am wondering how soon will they start to mellow out towards eachother or if that even ever will happen.

dragonlady

Reaction score
To answer your question, axolotls typically chill around 5-6 months of age.

There are some other things that can be done to discourage this behavior. One is tank size - more space means they have room to be out of each other's way. Visual barriers like hides and plants help too. Being well fed helps (not implying that you are underfeeding). Teaching them to eat at opposite ends with feeding jars for example.

Just some suggestions for you as I am just not a fan of the tank divider but not saying you are doing wrong by using one. :D Never hurts to get other opinions right?

All the best to you and yours.

reptadude

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the devider either it looks ugly but it was my last ditch effort. The tank is a 20 gallon long with more visible barriers and hide then i could shake a stick at but they always seem to find eachother and take chunks out of eachother. It was cute when they were smaller like an inch or so but now they are about 3 inches and are taking off limbs and toes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!