Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi, new parent of 2 baby axolotls here :)

sin2su

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Sheng and I'm a new proud parent of two golden baby albino axolotls. I've never had these little creatures before in my life but fell in love with them when I first lay eyes on them. Yes, I've done some research on them before purchasing my babies, mind you. But like every parent of a newborn, there is always new questions and worries that arise everyday that I didn't thought to think of so I hope this forum and everyone will help me rise my two babies into healthy adults. :)

My babies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJA_ad9fj0

Sorry about the bad quality video, I had a moment of pure excitement when they started walking and swimming about in their tank that I grabbed the nearest recording device I could find, which sadly was my cell phone. Right now they're in a 10 gallon tank with two dividers to keep them and the filter apart. They're about 6-6.5cm (~2.5in) so once they grow bigger I'm looking to buy a larger tank. ^^

Last edited:

celticcrow77

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, they are just PRECIOUS! You must be quite the proud parent. :D I can't wait for mine to get that size, he's only an inch long right now! LOL

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're certainly cute!

I would be extremely wary of your gravel though! Axolotls are notorious for eating whatever can fit in their mouth, and gravel is no exception. Gravel ingestion can lead to impaction, where the gravel gets stuck in the digestive tract. This can be fatal. It's best to use a substrate that can't be swallowed, like slate slabs, or a substrate that isn't harmful if swallowed, like fine sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1