Tylototriton kweichowensis possibly not eating.

sfmmfreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Linus
Well Newton has been acting a little strange lately. I used to feed him full nightcrawlers and I would usually find him chowing down as I went to bed. This past month I've changed to Earthworms, which are much smaller. I haven't seen him eat any. And yes, I know he may be eating after the lights are out but I have not caught him doing so yet.

To add to the confusion, the last 2 times i tried to feed him, before dropping the worms in, I tried to hand feed him. He came right out of hiding and up to the dangling worm, but would not eat it. I'm glad he is comfortable around me though.

I'm going to buy some nightcrawlers tomorrow and see what happens.

Maybe this is just happening because the weather has been quite warm lately, though I have kept the tank 74<.

Newton died this morning :(

Sorry to hear about your newt.
The earthworms may have been the foul tasting Eisenia, many newts will not eat them.

Well I brought him into my local pet store that breeds repitles and such.

He wasn't quite sure what happened. He said he may have dried up as his eyes were very dry.

I had doing a regular spraying every night and some mornings as well. He also couldv'e gone in the water part but didn't.

He was definetly skinny, but he still had a good amount of meat on him, so I doubt he was at the point of starvation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back