Question: Transportation

alexx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hellooo!

I'm moving home from university for a month at the end of this week so will be taking my two axies and their tank with me ofcourse. The drive is just over 1 hour.

I just don't really know how to do it, I could empty the tank of all but axi height of water and keep them in, but am worried about sloshing and it would still be heavy. I have a 5L carry box thing I sometimes use when cleaning them out but it's a bit cramped. I also have Tupperware boxes that could be large enough and a water tight large jar, but am worried these wouldn't have enough oxygen?

All suggestions welcomed, thanks!

Tupperware. Put them in individual ones with fresh water. Don't worry about them running out of air. 1 hour is not that long of a trip. I've shipped adults in sealed fish bags before and not had any issues.

Empty the tank completely. Otherwise it'll be unstable, and you'll risk breaking it when you're trying to move it. Try to preserve your biological cycle by keeping things like substrate, decorations, and the filter wet. I usually put everything into a 5 gallon bucket and top it off with tank water, then discard the rest of the water.

I drove from Nottingham to Kent with an axie in a tupperware box beside me and he was absolutely fine. I just kept the fans blowing cold air and kept him dark and covered up.

That's excellent thank you very much. The tank should be liftable with the sand and decorations left in, might have to borrow some muscles ;)

Finding all my guppy fry may be difficult!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back