BIG NIGHT for Spotted salamanders!

saglines

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Steve
Every year in early spring after a thaw with steady rain and temperatures that are in the low forties spotted salamanders come to the vernal pools to breed.
Last night in New England those conditions provided for a massive migration.

Males head to the vernal pools first to deposit spermataphores. Females then arrive and collect these spermataphores to fertilize their eggs.

Females will then lay eggs. A firm thick jelly will surround the egg masses that are usually attached to submerged vegetation.

Great pictures, saglines!

I love migration. It's so exciting! It's like a real life documentary. Dramatic and thrilling! Maybe I'm just a nerd.

Great pictures, saglines!

I love migration. It's so exciting! It's like a real life documentary. Dramatic and thrilling! Maybe I'm just a nerd.

So agree with Kaysie what lovely pictures and how lucky to see all of those lovely looking salamanders! thanks for sharing!

Very nice, thank you for sharing. I got to do this last year in Massachusetts. Your photos look awfully familiar as a result :).

Brilliant! I wish i could see that with my own eyes.
Thanx for sharing.

All those sallies......arf....

This is great! I'm in Mass John, what area did you locate these guys specifically? I'll go out tonight and see what I can find, I have a few good guesses.

Great pictures! Since I was little I have gone to these salamander tunnels almost every first, warm spring rain to see their migration. I remember the first year I went and hit the jackpot. There were Spotted, Red, Spring, Blue-spotted, and Jefferson Salamanders along with some other species. Last night I drove to these salamander tunnels because it was likely the first, warm spring rain and I saw many Spotted Salamanders and some Blue-spotted, Jefferson and an Eastern Newt.

It's been raining for 2 days here and JUST let up, I'm going to do some investigating tonight. . we don't have any tunnels in the Attleboro area though :\ I have a gut feeling I won't be disappointed though. :D

Thanks everyone!
I'm going to monitor the egg masses development I'll try to make frequent updates.

I have a question. From your first description it sounds as though the females pick up spermatophores at random. Is that how it happens, or is there some sort of non random mating, female choice that occurs?

I have a question. From your first description it sounds as though the females pick up spermatophores at random. Is that how it happens, or is there some sort of non random mating, female choice that occurs?

The males are still in the pools when the females arrive. They form a "congress" and dance around the females in an attempt to get the females to pick up their spermatophores.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back