Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Its a boy!!

nzgirl87

Reaction score
I have not put a post up on here for a few weeks! i have had my axo's for a long while now and have had no issues at all! (except not eating when first got one of them)

My wild type was bigger then my golden when i got it and i thought they were both girls but after watching and waiting for my golden to grow some more (as my wildtype is quite big compared) turns out goldy is a boy! o no haha.

Has this happened to anyone else out there??

i was just wondering if axo's have a preferred breeding time of year and if anything special needs to be done if you want them to breed?

i am not fussed on if they ever do or not but i want to be prepared for when it happens

and is it true females are bigger then males and have wider heads etc im pretty sure ones a boy and others a girl (bump and no bump by tail)

Skilly

Reaction score
:p ha, yes sometimes it takes a little while for males to "fill out." I took mine a while... thought it was female for the longest time. Then 'bam' its a male! :D

Breeding usually happens when the seasons change... spring and sometimes in the fall. When the daylight changes and temperatures.... those set off breeding instincts.

Females are usually wider than males... their tummies are plumper because of the eggs (usually as fat as their heads are wide). Males are long and lanky in most cases and have that bigger 'bump.'

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1