Excellent timing...

Star

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Star
Well, I'm going away for 2 weeks tomorrow, leaving at 8am, currently having a mad last minute pack as I haven't done a thing yet! Because I'm away for 2 weeks I've been feeding my axies a bit less as they have only all been in together for about a week or 2 now and I didn't want any accidents whilst away. I was pushing my luck with Hoshi as he is still rather small, Jake is about 5.5 inches long at the moment, Scylla is about 7 now, maybe 8, not measured her recently but she's shot up since being in the 4ft tank and Hoshi is about 4.5 inches and very, very skinny still.

I've been monitoring them several times daily and I sit next to the tank most of the day so watch them when I'm meant to be doing something... Everything has been going fine. Just fed them one last meal before I go away, was watching Hoshi eat and noticed his arm. It looked like someone had tried to take it off.... Jake gets on well with him so really only leaves my big monster Scylla. Whilst watching him eat, Scylla's food had all gone, she then started stalking Hoshi for a while so I watched to see what happened and of course she launched at the poor little bugger :( So he has now been moved into a tupperware tub until I can set up a temp 8 gallon tank until I'm home and he's off to mum's for 2 weeks.

I'm worried though that now Hoshi has gone, would it be likely she would turn on Jake...? Being into animal behaviour I love sitting and watching them for ages and she has never once shown any interest what so ever in Jake, only poor little Hoshi, I just don't want to come home and find my little 5 legged freak a 2 or 3 legged freak :( Also, what should I get mum to look out for with the leg, just signs of infection? I've also noticed his other foot is all swollen and red too. I've warned mum she may need to fridge him... Sorry for essay, just trying to get all the info out! :p

Star, I haven't seen your setup but if you have lots of visual barriers and the tank is fairly dark, I would think you'd be okay. Hopefully, you have someone looking in on the other two as well? If they are kept well fed while you are away, things should be okay. Glad you found your problem before you left though.

As for watching your tank, lol, I keep a chair in front of mine...instead of changing channels on the TV, I just switch tanks! :D

I change it about a lot the setup but they have 3 hides, a couple of silly little things I thought were pretty and a few fake plants. When I checked before Jake was in a fake skull and Scylla was up the side of the strawberry hide so hoping they are fine :D got my sister checking them and feeding them for me while I'm away. Little hoshi is at mum's all miserable poor thing :(
Lol I like the idea of switching tanks! I have a big cushy arm chair in front of my pc so I twnd to sit in that and watch them for ages :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back