• Total voters

Alioth

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Display Name
Tess
Just want to know how your axies are?
Lets decide we talk about adults only :D! Otherwise this will be a mess!
I cannot participate, have only 2 juveniles!
You can check the length of every adult you have! I'm curious!

Last edited:
It's pretty funny to think about the range I have! As per my signature, I have 11 with the largest at about 36 cm! My smallest adult is actually only 12 cm! I also have a little mix of everything in between. :D

A question; when or at what age is an axolotl considered an adult?

I thought they stopped growing at 1,5 years or something like that :happy: .
Big differences!

12 cm! My juveniles are allready bigger than that :happy:! Is s/he living alone then, or do you have another that is so small? Must be cute to see! :love:

My three originals are between 12 and 15cms, and are showing whitened toes, the muscular ridges, and cloacal enlargement. I'm hopeful that when I get the chiller and they move out into the big tank/I get a 2ft for the wusses, they'll put on another few cms... My other three are between 18 and 21-ish (must get the ruler out tomorrow morning and measure Peta properly before she decides to hole up in her log again...)

The only one I've been able to measure recently is Hoshi! He's just over 10 inches. I'd love to see one of the beastly 30+cm ones!

I've got a 3 year old male that's tipping the scales at a whopping 13cm.

I have a 2 year old lecoustic at 23 cm and a 1 year old wild type at 18 cm! I actually thought they were smaller than that!

It's funny to see all the differences! Would love to see pictures of the "beasts" who are 30+cm :D .
Mijn are about 7 months old (breeder didn't know exactly) and are 12,5cm en 13,5cm. The wildtype has white fingertips allready! What does this mean?

Darn! I posted results for my 3 (hatched Feb 2010), which are 19cm+, but forgot to do my friend's 3 that are at my house. They are from the same clutches as mine, so hatched Feb 2010 still, but are only 11cm, 12cm + 13cm because she kept all 3 in a 2ft tank.

I hope this is not considered hijacking...Some asked to see a beasty - here is mine. The angle is a little odd, I think you can get an idea of the proportion. The little gold there is about 14.5 cm but again the angle is bad (sorry). Cool (the guy going up for a gulp of air) is not a great subject...;) Oh yeah, he's about 15 mo. old.

Attachments

• DSCF2347.jpg
    DSCF2347.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 5,153
my 18 adult axies are between 22cm and 27cm, but I can only vote for one each size. :uhoh:

my anderson is 19 cm at a year old, i managed to measure my lil luci at 12 cm at 8 months..yea i thought he was smaller! Trogdor is in a 36 gal. and Burnie and Newbie are in a 25 gal.

now here is another question iv wondered about..

-How big are your tanks compared to how big/old your axies are?

My wildtype (Marcel) is about 26-27cms long, I'm not sure how old he is as I've only had him 3weeks and the garden centre where he came from didn't know. (will post a pic next to a tape measure) :)

Just measured my little one who I've had for 4 months now and she's 24cm... hoping she'll grow some more once she's in her nice big new tank

I'd love to achieve something like Dragonlady's 36cm beast

Now i finally understand where dragonlady got the name from, its that monster taking over the tank!

for some reason this picture always reminds me of the kids book where the child gets a fish from the seaside and it turns out to be a whale :D

for some reason this picture always reminds me of the kids book where the child gets a fish from the seaside and it turns out to be a whale :D

What kids book was that?? :confused:

Going to have to find that one out for you, i found it at my primary school, but my little sisters might have it somewhere :)

On vacation at Disneyworld, I saw the absolute largest axolotl ever: It was over a foot long, and had the body thickness of a garden hose. I almost thought it wasn't an axie, it was so huge!
If you go to Disneyworld, head straight to Disney's "Animal Kingdom." Hop the train to Rafiki's Conservation Station, and inside you will find a tons of herps, including the monster-sized axie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back