Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Beneficial Algae

Cas

Reaction score
It's amazing how many people freak out when they see algae in their aquariums. I read this today (copying and pasting from New Scientist Link at end)

"For the first time, algae have been spotted living within the cells of salamander embryos.

The association between spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum) eggs and this type of algae (Oophila amblystomatis) was first noticed more than 100 years ago, but has proven difficult to observe with conventional light microscopy. Modern fluorescent microscopy made this image possible, by picking up the highly fluorescent chlorophyll in the algae.

The particular type of symbiosis displayed here is endosymbiosis, in which one organism lives within the cells of another. The exact effect of endosymbiosis on both organisms is still unknown, but scientists believe the relationship is mutually beneficial. It is thought that the algae consume the eggs' waste and provide them with oxygen.

Other types of symbiotic relationships between algae and animals exist in a surprising number of species, including jellyfish and sea slugs, where algae help these animals process energy through photosynthesis"

Theres an amazing picture of a hyphae on the website, I'll attach it but someone let me know if it needs removing? :) I couldn't find forum rules... maybe Im just blind!

It's amazing the relationships which develop in nature, now if only I could get this algae mass produced to clean up after my adult axie... a dream come true!!

Short Sharp Science: Algae spotted in their salamander home

Maythe27th

Reaction score
INSIDE the cells? That sounds pretty cool. 'A hybrid mix between plant and animal cells!'

Cas

Reaction score
I know, I thought it was amazing that they found it inside cells! Its like an inbuilt sewage system lol.

I wish the article said if this relationship only occurs in nature or also exists inside the regular aquarium hobbyist's tank.

But alas I don't have a flurostar at home and have only every used one once before in my life, so I doubt I could replicate this if it's taken them 100 years to work it out!

mewsie

Reaction score
Great link, Cas, thanks!

Nature is astonishingly lovely, isn't it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1