Size difference + keeping males together

puppetmaster04

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My female axie has just laid a whole load of eggs and I'm thinking it's not fair to keep her in with the male all the time.

Mine are about a year old and about 25cm but still relatively thin but my mum has a male that is about 5 months older, the same length, but the head and body is larger.

I was thinking of giving my mum the female to keep alone, and I would raise the two boys in my larger tank.

Will the size difference cause problems, and is it ok to house two males together?

Typically, they should get along fine as long as your tank is large enough to accommodate two adults with space, hides, and some visual barriers so they can get away from each other from time to time. Even the best of friends can get on each others' nerves from time to time. ;)

I have 4 males of various sizes together in a 55 gallon tank and have no problems.

Thanks, I think my tank is big enough for now but I am looking for a bigger one. My current one is l30" x w12" x h10"

Not sure about how to calculate gallons.

We have two adult males together with no problems! The verrrry occasional 'will you get your foot out of my face' snap, but thats normal I think!

Do keep in mind though, that younger axolotls go through a short cannibalistic period. They grow out of this by the time they are adults. You should be okay, if you listen to dragonlady's advice. :happy:

These axolotls are well out of that phase!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back