Question: Glowing Axoltols

Lizz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lizz
I am thinking of purchasing the glowing axolotls but I was wondering if this can stress the tank mates out at all?:confused: I have hiding huts for them but I am still wanting to make sure. I want my axies to be as happy as possible!

Also how big should the rocks be? mine are at least an inch, is that large enough or should I find new ones?

Im guessing you mean will the light annoy them. They dont like lights but as long you have enough hides you should be ok. You dont have to have the lighs on all the time.

with the rocks...they have to be bigger than their head. Large rocks are a pain when it comes time for cleaning everything gets stuck in between them. That is why sand or slate tiles are the best(or bare bottom) cause the gunk sits on top.

Your post is a bit confusing as I, like Lea, am not sure what you mean exactly.

The glowing axolotls don't actually glow. They have a Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) embedded in their DNA that reacts to certain types of lights. You, as Lea cautioned, don't want to keep the light that causes this protein to react on all the time as it can stress them out. You can choose to use this light for a few minutes to "show" them off but you don't want to keep it on them for long periods of time. Some of these lights (example: actinic) emit UV which is harmful to amphibians, so use caution when you are choosing the type of light as well.

I think you will like the effect you see under normal lighting conditions. GFP axolotls appear a bit greenish and their eyes are emerald green. I don't even "light" mine up like that - personal preference. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back