Crested Newt/Smooth Newt Compatibility

Mike Gent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mike G
Hi,

Looking for some advice from any UK Newt experts.

We have a fair size garden with many areas suitable for Herps.

Our pond (8' x 5') and surrounded by rockery, thick planting, marsh area and fallen logs etc is an absolute haven for Common Frogs, Smooth Newts (Both breed regularly) and the garden also has a few Common Toads.

This year alone (after an early spring clean) we have over 100 Common Newts & well over 120 frogs...and spawn?!?!? We barely have enough water for what they have produced!

My question is, would Crested Newts be suitable with Common Newts ?

I know its illegal to move or tamper with Crested in the UK but we are aware of how this species is struggling in this country and if captive bred stock can be obtained and introduced we would be helping the population expand.

But do they co-habit with other species ?

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hi,

Looking for some advice from any UK Newt experts.

We have a fair size garden with many areas suitable for Herps.

Our pond (8' x 5') and surrounded by rockery, thick planting, marsh area and fallen logs etc is an absolute haven for Common Frogs, Smooth Newts (Both breed regularly) and the garden also has a few Common Toads.

This year alone (after an early spring clean) we have over 100 Common Newts & well over 120 frogs...and spawn?!?!? We barely have enough water for what they have produced!

My question is, would Crested Newts be suitable with Common Newts ?

I know its illegal to move or tamper with Crested in the UK but we are aware of how this species is struggling in this country and if captive bred stock can be obtained and introduced we would be helping the population expand.

But do they co-habit with other species ?

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike.

I think releasing captive-bred stock is problematic and also may be illegal. There's always a concern over introducing pathogens and parasites that way. I dunno, your best bet may be simply providing a nice habitat and then wait and see who shows up. Your pond is not that big and a third species breeding in there may find it hard to get established.

My Mom made a small garden pond in her backyard and the next year she had vulgaris and helveticus breeding in there.

As for compatibility, I have certainly seen vulgaris and cristatus breeding in the same pond together, but I also imagine that when space is limited as in a garden pond, one species may be outcompeted. I always found cristatus in larger ponds so they may require more room in the long run.

The legal considerations are a matter that you´ll have to check with your local authorities. I doubt you can get a permit to release captive stock (not a good idea, generally speaking, anyway), but who knows, you might be able to participate in some kind of organized introduction if there is such a thing going on in the UK.

Bare in mind that although T.cristatus and L.vulgaris coexist in the wild, the larger species could predate on the smaller one on ocassion. It certainly happens with other Triturus / Lissotriton combinations. With such a large L.vulgaris population, i doubt the T.cristatus could make a dent, and it´s after all, natural, but it´s something to consider.

It's not illegal to release captive bred crested newts into the wild in the UK.

They do coexist with smooth newts- the vast majority of crested newts will also contain one of the smaller species- but they do feed on smaller newts and their larvae.

8' x 5' is a very small pond for crested newts- optimum size is more like 60' x 60'.

Thank you both for your comments.

They are as I anticipated. I doubt Crested will appear 'naturally' as they seem to have dissapeared in my area many years ago (my father remembers them in local farm ponds that no longer exist....and that was 65 years ago!!).

We also have many roads locally so moving areas isnt going to be easy.

Our motive is really to try and get the species back to a decent level and our garden is one of many on our road with decent ponds and plenty of suitable habitat....once they are here...if they ever arrive!

Thanks again,

Mike.

Thank you both for your comments.

They are as I anticipated. I doubt Crested will appear 'naturally' as they seem to have dissapeared in my area many years ago (my father remembers them in local farm ponds that no longer exist....and that was 65 years ago!!).

We also have many roads locally so moving areas isnt going to be easy.

Our motive is really to try and get the species back to a decent level and our garden is one of many on our road with decent ponds and plenty of suitable habitat....once they are here...if they ever arrive!

Thanks again,

Mike.

We are fortunate enough to have fields surrounding us and have 3 seperate areas around us that have the greater crested newt :happy: Its a fantastic newt and was lucky enough to have found one which was sadly dehydrated but a quick trip to our local wildlife centre and "Lucy" the GCN was returned to where she was found!

Good luck with your pond!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back