New to This Forum and Axolotls

yresim

Reaction score
Country
United States
A good friend of mine has 2 leucistic axolotls, and I love looking at them and reading about them when I go by their place. Recently, I decided to get one for myself, so that I could watch them at home, too. I'm hoping for a white albino gfp and a melanoid. However, I want to wait until I'm certain that I'm ready.

I was born in VA, but I have moved around a lot since then. Easiest way to put it is that I'm from the US, because I might be living somewhere different a month from now (my animals will be coming with me). I consider myself a Virginian, but I haven't been back there for a couple of years.

I love all animals, and have owned a large variety of them in the past, from rats to horses. However, the closest I've ever come to owning a reptile or amphibian is babysitting. Currently, I have two dogs and several plants.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

Welcome to the forum.

If you're living the nomadic lifestyle, you might want to reconsider axolotls. I can say from experience that moving with critters is a BIG hassle. And especially with axolotls, there will be some places you can't go, like California or New Jersey (they're banned there).

I don't mean to discourage you, I'm just letting you know from my own experience that it sucks.

I wouldn't say I'm nomadic. I move about once a year. I know it's a pain, but I like the change in scenery, and I love having pets.

Thanks for the heads up about CA & NJ. It is definitely something to keep in mind.

I hear that! I move every 6 months to a year. The life of a seasonal scientist, I suppose.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back