Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma Maculatum egg masses

saglines

Reaction score
Last week I documented a "Big Night" Migration of the spotted salamander. Well, I visited the vernal pools and there are lots of egg masses. I will be monitoring these until they transform. I will periodically post updates with there progress.
There were thousands of spermatophores at the vernal pools today which was somewhat disappointing. I expected there to be many more egg masses.

Male spotted salamanders head to the vernal pools first to deposit spermatophores. Females then arrive and collect these spermataphores to fertilize their eggs.
Females will then lay eggs. A firm thick jelly will surround the egg masses that are usually attached to submerged vegetation.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
My god, those are a hell of some hundreds! Maybe even up to one or two thousand! I wonder how they will do that overcrowded in a pond like that...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's a lot of spermatophores!

Eljorgo, they actually do pretty well. The females who don't get the 'prime' spots will lay their eggs on higher vegetation, which can be emergent if the pond starts to dry out. But with this species, you get a lot of cannibalism.

Saglines, are there any Ambystoma opacum larvae in the ponds?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!