Question: Baby curving concern

ClaireBear

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hi there,

Our axolotl's are now around 24 days old. One (Wooper) is absolutely massive in comparison to the other (Marshmallow). We got home tonight to find Marshmallow slightly curved in body and leaning to one side. We're really concerned and would like some advice on what the problem could be (If it's anything to worry about at all).

We've not started checking water temp yet or PH etc because we were told not to worry about it at this stage. Also, we haven't bought in the appropriate stuff yet to carry out the tests.

Marshmallow is in his own container right now, seperated from Wooper. The water is about 2cm's in depth, and is changed on a daily basis. Normally we change around 3 quarters of the water using a pipette. We've fed them BBS for the first 2 weeks, and they're now on Daphnia that we've been feeding once daily.

I just hope he's ok and we'll check again in the morning. I would have taken a picture but he straightened himself out a little, so i'll check again in the morning.

Sadly we woke up today to our little Marshmallow dead
His tail was completely curled at the end and his gills were forward.

Still looking for any info on what could have went wrong as we don't want the same to happen to Wooper.
We're really upset and worried now in case it happens again so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks x

Sometimes they can unfortunately just pass away, has happened with one of mine :( If you search through previous posts about larvae that have died there will be a link to a page that gives reasons why larvae die. Could be helpful in diagnosing it

Thanks Kaysie :) Was just nipping out so didn't have the time to hunt for it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back