Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is it normal?

chc36

Reaction score
I recently got two Chinese Fire Bellied Newts that are living in a ten gallon tank together, they're both adults (about 4 inches from nose to tip of tail). The tank is mostly water but with plenty of land for them to get on (vines above the water, a piece of driftwood that sticks out of the water, plastic lily pads, etc). One of the two spends most of his time underwater, hunting blackworms and only swimming to the surface to get some air. The other seems to freak out anytime he touches water. Water temp is 72, with good water quality. The newt that stays on land will swim frantically at the water line trying to find something to grab on to. Is the land newt just a weird case or is it something I should be concerned about?

evut

Reaction score
I suppose if the other newt is swimming around happily then the water quality is fine (you say that as well).

A couple of suggestions: are you absolutely certain they are both Chinese fire-bellies?
Also, are they both the same age - could the terrestrial one be a (very large?) juvenile who's not aquatic yet?
It could also be sick or stressed - are there any signs of illness, is it thin looking, does it eat?

If the newt is so scared of water, it might be a good idea to separate it and place it into a shallow set up to prevent drowning. Maybe provide a good hiding place and see how it does. A healthy adult non-stressed newt should not stay terrestrial for long.

Last edited:

nursemelody

Reaction score
Again I had the same situation with two female newts (1 firebelly, and one eastern) and as soon as I bought a fan to cool the water by only a few degrees, they decided it wasn't that bad. Its worth a try.. I think some newts are more temperature sensitive.... I notice that if I am cleaning the tank, and I forget to turn the fan back on, the land lovers are back up on the cork bark until I do.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
When I first got my pair, they were both adults, but stressed (as I later found out - probably not CB and had been through the harsh importing process) and stayed on land for weeks. Eventually, they went aquatic where they remain.

I think 72 is on the upper range of ideal for them, so if you can get the temperature down a little, it will help. However, I think the one on land is going to take some time to adapt to its new surroundings.

Good luck,
Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1