Question: What Do You Guys Think?

Cheylee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm on an art website a lot and i noticed this picture that someone uploaded. To me it looks like a tiger salamander with some sort of lip injury. I told my friend i would see what you guys thought of it because i was not one hundred percent sure about what i thought about it. So, It is a tiger salamander or just an Axolotl with super small gills?
RawBerry001 on deviantART

Aww that poor little guy, so skinny and such bad gills. Unfortunately this happens all to often with pet shops. So far as I can see this is an axi... the head shape is different for salamanders. Axi's will occasionally morph and live on land but I stress that this is rare and is not advised. First thing that indicates the morph is shortening gills and a change in head shape.

This thread shows a morphed axi...

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...olotl-free-all/51411-metamorphed-axolotl.html

it is possible for them to morph and be alright but most die during the morphing process.

So far as I can tell your friends axi has a serious case of neglect, with ideal water conditions and plenty of lovely worms to keep it strong it should recover. As axi's can grow their limbs back it should be ok. My own little on was pretty bad when I got her but now she looks great, just needed some TLC.

Keep us updated on the little guys condition

Also the lip looks a little suspect I would quarantine him for the moment in the fridge so if he does have anything nasty wrong with him he doesn't affect that pretty white female

This is an axolotl. A very underfed, neglected axolotl. As Boo stated, given proper water conditions and diet, this axolotl could possibly be saved. However, for it to continue as it is, its outlook is not positive. The lip would just need to be watched, I don't see any fungus and would suggest that with living conditions improved, that too, would correct itself.

Morphing is an extremely rare occurrence in axolotls. Yes, there are a few references here about this occurring for different reasons, but, keep in mind that this site is worldwide. It is much more likely for an axolotl to die before it morphs.

Thank you very much for the replys. :) They will be happy to here that it is an axolotl and not a salamander. :) They just got the axolotl a few days ago from a little out door pet shop i think, so it does surprise me he looks this way. Thank you very much for all your help once again.

Pet shops are notoriously bad when it comes to axi's... I have vowed never again. Cause not only are they badly looked after they are also a massive rip off... my little girl cost me $40

Keep us posted on the little one though... hopefully he'll be on the mend soon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back