New Kid on the Block

Brandon247

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. My name is Brandon and I am excited about being a part of caudata.org! I hope to learn so much as a member here, and hopefully be a benificial member for the everyone else.
I don't have much experience with salamanders and newts but the previous fall my girl friend Renee asked me to take care of a spotted salamander since she didn't have the equipment or time. I had a tank and other general aquarium pet supplies. I researched frantically to ensure his health and happiness. What a relief it was when I found this wonderfull site. He's been doing well ( I am assuming it is male ) and I just recently moved him from the temporary 15 gallon tank to the 30 gallon tank I was preparing. I have enough knowledge now to take care of him but there is so much exciting information and I'm thrilled to be a member.

Welcome to the forum, Brandon! We're excited to have you!

Glad to hear your spotted is doing well. If you want to sex it, it's especially easy this time of year, since even though they're not in nature, they still prepare for breeding biologically. In males, the cloaca (between the back legs) will swell up, while females will become quite round with eggs. If you can't decide, feel free to post pictures, and we'll see if we can help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back