Food

Catherine1

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi all.
for as long as i have had axolotls (only about two years) i have fed them meal worms but now i have been told that they could be what's made my Axolotle unhealthy. i've been told that earthworms are good for them. can you buy them?
i might have to go away for quite a while later on in the year and was wondering what i should do about my axolotl. i'm not so sure about putting feeder fish in the tank after they attacked another axolotl i had. will she be fine without food or should i get someone to feed her.

Hi Catherine,
Mealworms can be a little dangerous, especially if you don't remove the heads (they can bite). They aren't all that great nutritionally and their outer shells can prove difficult for axolotls to digest. Feeder fish don't provide much either and they can carry diseases so glad you have done some research now. If you have a bait shop nearby, nightcrawlers should be fairly cheap because they are used for fishing and they work well for axies too. I think "Bunnings" is the name that comes to mind for where others have found their worms (I apologize if I've mangled the name). Buying them online may be another option. A worm bin is fairly easy to maintain once you get it going as Thelma suggested as well. Best of luck to you.

Ha ha Shannon yes it is bunnings, i got my worms there for $48 for 1000. They suggest 1000 per family member so I will be getting more and have since discovered they are cheaper online and also available (from kookaburra farms or something like that) are worm eggs which are cheaper again but take a few weeks to hatch so I'm thinking I'll top up with them. Also, worms breed very quickly! The ones I have now are nice and small, great size for my axis they have 3 each most nights. Probably too much I'm not sure? But they'd gladly eat more! You can also find instructions online for making a worm bin which looks pretty easy and inexpensive!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back