Koi in a vernal pond???!!!!! (this is a rant)

deliriah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last night I went out for the second night in a row, to one of my favorite areas for wood frogs and spotted sals. As always, the whole thing was captivating. And it made for a great way to spend the last hours of my birthday.
But I was disappointed to see a few small fish that my boyfriend says look like young trout, swimming around where I have never seen any fish of any kind before. Further investigation reveals that the river running nearby had been recently widened to allow it to flow freely into the pond. It is my understanding that these places are chosen by these species because of the lack of fish as predators. And I fear for the future generations of frogs and sals that call it home.
To top this off we were packing up and getting ready to head home when i spotted something bright red/orange swimming near the shore line. I had my boyfriend grab a net, and we caught what looks like a young koi, or some kind of goldfish. Bright red on top and white on the bottom, about 3 inches in length. This I took home because I'm fairly sure it just didn't belong there at all. I'm a little puzzled as to why a goldfish would be found swimming in a wild pond in Western Mass. I am prone to believe it must have been an unwanted pet dumped there ignorantly.
Needless too say I am at a loss as to what's going on with this little bit of paradise. And what I can/can't/should/ or shouldn't do about it. I think something needs to be done, but what? Who do I contact?

Fish wouldn't survive in a vernal pond. The definition of a vernal pond is one that dries up, which excludes fish.

If the pond is now being fed by the river, its entire dynamic will change: plants, animals, soil, everything. I would contact whoever owns the property. If it's state, try first with your local Dept. of Natural Resources/Fish and Game.

Yes the river feeding it is where I think the fish came in from, I fear that will prevent the pond from drying up like it normally does. Thank you Kaysie for the suggestion i will give it a try.

I'd say take this matter into your own hands....get a bunch of sandbags and start damming off the vernal pool.

(kidding of course)....

Don't sand bag it before you contact the proper Fish and Wildlife authorities. There may be a legal reason the river was re-routed....Have you considered calling the Connecticutt River Watershed Council. They are authorities in these matters and their offices are out near where you live.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back