Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Tank, need ideas

satyrlike

Reaction score
Okay gentlefolks, I just picked up a deal on a 55 gal tank. I'm going to pick up some eggs as soon as they become availible so gimmie your best shot. With a 55 gal empty tank on a stand and limited funding; how would you build it? I have lots and lots of artificial plants and I have 20-30-60 gal filter/pumps, multiple air pumps (4) with round and bar air stones <2 of each>. I know that I'll need some hides since I have none.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I am a HUGE fan of driftwood, rocks, and live plants...all can be found pretty cheap, and the driftwood and rocks can provide perfect hides. It's a natural look on a budget! A lot of plants will grow rampant in tanks which will help with water quality and look great. All in all you could probably get a nice setup for under $100.

I use a Fluval 305 on my 55 gallon tank which is rated up to 80 gallons. I would use the heaviest filtration, just make sure the water isn't disrupted by the outflow.

carsona246

Reaction score
I'm currently experimenting with riparium's for filtration. I have a plastic window planter with a hole cut in the side for the output of my canister filter and I just stuck it on top of my tank. It's wider than the width of my tank, and so it's only halfway in. It also helps buffer the flow, because it has like 10 tiny holes placed all over the bottom so the water flows evenly through the holes.
I crammed it full of pothos, and peace lilly. so far it's not working quite as well as I had hoped, but I think it's taking a while for the plants to acclimate to semi-aquatic conditions. I have a uncycled 30 gallon rubbermaid bin as a temporary tank and my daily ammonia levels are lower than i expected, but still not 0. I did cram some pothos and peace lily in a hob filter of my uncycled shrimp tank, and I have 0 toxins at all in that tank, so I think theres hope. I know shrimp have a low bioload, but it's like over 60 shrimp in a ten gallon tank, and I havn't changed the water in weeks.

satyrlike

Reaction score
I've gone to both Petsmart and the one local pet shop here and neither of them carry java moss. What plants would you recommend for the tank?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Go to aquabid.com....I bought a HUGE HUGE HUGE clump of java moss for like $15 and have used it to decorate 3 different tanks. I have java moss, java fern, wysteria, elodea (ridiculous plants), frogbit and duck weed in 1 tank, and java moss and anubias nana in another. They are all wonderful plants.

satyrlike

Reaction score
Thank you! I've seen most of those at Petsmart and can swing by and grab them. I'll definately hit the online shop for java moss. Got any ideas for cheap homemade but nice looking hides?

Aaran

Reaction score
If your looking for cheap hides i suppose any old Pvc piping is good, its usually lying around so shouldnt cost you anything. Then just decorate the surround with rocks and things from a local river or in your garden, make sure you check what rocks they are and clean them properly, theres a guide on rocks for aquariums somewhere, other things could be an old terracotta plant pot or a vase?

:happy:

satyrlike

Reaction score
Sounds like I need to take a trip to the river/lake this weekend. Would the local water plants be safe to use, or too risky?

Aaran

Reaction score
Always the possibility of parasites, unless you make a semi setup in a bucket outside with freshwater, dechlorinated ofc, and keep swapping the plants over to clear them of any insects and to get rid of contaminates?

you would have to change the water regularly though and wash them with fresh water as you transfer the plants to cleaner water.

Also are you thinking of planting them into substrate or are you just thinking of cuttings?

As at my LFS all pre potted plants are like $4, or cuttings are like $1 - 2.

satyrlike

Reaction score
I would be planting them into sand. Sounds like a whole lot of work when a trip to the local pet store could take of the plants, eh? ;)

Aaran

Reaction score
Personally i would go for the pre potted ones, safer option and they already will have roots and be ready for planting into your substrate. Btw, just read up on sand bed maintenance could help you a little(you probably have exp, im just going on that you dont) :)

and as for the hides, just roam around your place you will most likely find something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!