Axolotls jumping out of tank

puppetmaster04

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I just want to know if anyone has heard of axies getting out of their tanks. I have a paranoia about it and sometimes I hear a splashing and I start panicking, but everytime I watch them and they are near the top it seems impossible for them to gather enough speed to get out.

I'm especially worried as I have eggs about to hatch and I'm going to be putting them into a low container.

Yes, there has been mention of it happening - there are some threads in the axie section here. It has been suggested that it's because of some sort of irritation (like water quality) though, but I'm still paranoid enough to keep the water levels down or close lids if the water is nice + high. I've had 1 of mine nearly jump out of an isolation tub, but water was only twice the height of the axie + the tub was only just longer (squared). When I 1st took responsibility for my friend's axies, the 1st thing I did was to seperate them into clean margarine tubs for isolation + 1 jumped out at some point during the day + I don't know how long s/he was out of the water, but had disappeared down the back of the cupboard they're on top of + I had to very carefully roll him / her out with a broom handle. S/he has survived fine though, after more isolation, regular water changes + a bit of feeding up.
There is also mention of someone's mum (can't remember who) having an axie who used to regularly get out of it's tank + go for a wander!

Mojo pretty much said it all :) Yes there are a few threads here where someone's axolotl jumped out of the tank. If I remember correctly it happens when they get startled. Just make sure you keep a nice secure lid on, and don't have the water to the brim of it. I can't remember how many inches...but they can't jump that high. Someone on here will know I'm sure!

Oh dear, I wish you had said "no no, it's impossible for them to jump" - now I'm even more terrified!

Haha but it's good to know that they do. My current guys are in a tank about 15" high but the water level is a few inches under that so it should be ok. And I am soooo glad I bought the lid for the tank that the babies will go in..

My girl axie loves it when I go over to the tank and look in, she swims right up to the top to stare at me and tries to poke her head out but just bounces back in, it's awfully cute.

I have had a axie jump from a tank before, so it can happen. silly me filled the tank right up.

the axie did survive the fall with what looked like no damage.

My big male jumped out of his tank twice in the first 3 days we had him :rolleyes: first time hitting the hard floor and being found I don't know how long after and 2nd time landed in the box of building blocks and found not sure how long after again. He jumped out during the night. Turned out one of the cats was being a little too curious and scaring him. It was a full moon and the blinds were open so plenty of moon light to see by. We soon had a lid on them after the 2nd jump though. Fortunately he was fine after both escapes and has since fathered 4 batches of eggs.
You should be fine by leaving the water a couple of inches below the top. I've not had any of my babies jump out. They don't really start swimming to the surface at all until they start growing their lungs and taking 'breaths' which happens around the time they start to get their back legs.

Good luck

From what I read over on the other threads (And I was REALLY grateful to find out), if an axie/sal goes AWOL, put a nice, sopping wet towel on the floor and wait for the little darling to crawl on...

From what I read over on the other threads (And I was REALLY grateful to find out), if an axie/sal goes AWOL, put a nice, sopping wet towel on the floor and wait for the little darling to crawl on...

HAHA! I hope it doesn't happen but I just pictured a moody teenage axie unwillingly crawling back home after his adventure.

I didn't realise their legs were that strong :S

Not sure if they are, but they're strong as a whole (remembers trying to negotiate with Peta about getting out of her bag....)!

Right, so been mulling over this thread for a few days, and this is the result:
215611_10150169844852268_765437267_6628702_5469327_s.jpg

Tools for the Intrepid Axie Explorer:
1. Bottle of (chilled, dechlorinated) water
2. Towel (Good for conning little old ladies and slinking home like a moody teen on a saturday night...)
3. Emergency food supply (Also doubles as a source of projectiles)
4. Sword (for jumping on cows, ripping open their chests and nom nomming on their hearts :D)
5. Spade (For digging for Ancient Mexican Relics...And worms)
6. Map to find the way home :angel:​

Mine have never jumped out of the tank but they did splash about enough to get my new flatscreen tv wet thats mounted above their tank. I think they were annoyed because they couldn't see it anymore.
Naughty axies :mad:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back