Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Weird Bumps on Axolotl

Reibu

Reaction score
It's been a week esince I've noticed two weird bumps on my axie, I've got no idea what they are.

Here, I've attached some pictures :(
The first picture was a week ago, and the second is this morning. I've also noticed that in the second picture, his skin turned a bit red, but it's fine now, it was only this morning.

Water temperature is currently, it was 20 this morning.

Attachments

• 140420111410.jpg
    140420111410.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 180420111432.jpg
    180420111432.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 972

Reibu

Reaction score
I've had it for nearly two months and feed it frozen blood worms (cubes) and sometimes frozen brine shrimp :(

Edit: just noticed I missed out the current temperature in the first post, it s 23 degrees Celsius now

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

the temperature is a bit too high. You should cool the water down. Axies feel best and healthy at temps < 20°C (68°F). For cooling methods take a look here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

You should get more variety in his diet. Earthworms are the best and nutritious diet for axies. But you can feed him - look here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

You may spend your axie a vacation in the fridge with fresh, dechlorinated water. That slows down his metabolism and helps him to recover. Do the bumps look a bit yellowish? If so, then I would suggest to look for a vet. Ten it could be an infection. I cannot see it clearly on the photo.

Tina

Reibu

Reaction score
Yes, I realize that the temperature is a tad bit too high and I've been doing the ice bottle trick. Each bottle could effectively lower the temperature by 1 Degree.

I've seen some live earthworms in the nearest store but not sure about tubifex or blackworms but I'll try to look around some more.

The bumps are kind of white ish, no sign of yellow.

callina

Reaction score
whitish sounds good, then it´s probably not an infection. :D But you should have a close eye of it.
For how long do you have your axi?

Reibu

Reaction score
@Tina: I've have them for almost 3 months

I checked just now and it seems that a white dot thing (like acne) appeared embedded in one of the two existing bumps (the white thing sticks out. Is this a fungal infection? I'm not sure. Can anyone help? :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1