Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new tank.. Any recomendations as I am new

Aztecer

Reaction score
Please give advice

Attachments

• IMG_6354.jpg
    IMG_6354.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_8567.jpg
    IMG_8567.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 146

Aaran

Reaction score
Firstly welcome,

Your setup looks good, hows the water flow in your tank? It looks quite strong (this is just going on what i can see from the photos) Axies dont like powerful water flow, any chance of diverting the flow of water to the side of the tank to then slide into the water?

Other than that it looks like a great lil axie home.

Unless your talking about making it look more natural more additions to the tank?

Then i would say, maybe some more plants and abit of bogwood would make great additions.

Aztecer

Reaction score
Thxs.. I will try and find a way to divert the water flow.. I really appreciate the advice

iChris

Reaction score
it looks ok, now for some constructive criticism.

consider the fact that those pebbles will trap alot of waste between them, despite your best efforts to keep the tank clean. not only that, its important to know your animal, and its habits, ie, when and how often it goes, as gross as it sounds, its a must if you want to know your axie and how healthy it is. you probably won't know if or how often he is passing waste if it sinks between the pebbles, constipation is a major and a very real problem for some axie owners, and you may have no idea that your axie is impacted until you're posting in the sick axolotl forum, not to say that it will happen though.

second, axies can swallow large objects, please ensure that all of those pebbles are bigger than your animal's head. axies can and do grow up to 30cm long or more, and their mouths grow with them, so that means you'll have one big mouthed axie, same rule apples, so you may find yourself looking for bigger pebbles down the track. a common solution suggested by many on this forum is plain children's play sand, it's great and the waste stays on top so its very easy to clean.

I would also add a few more hides, axies hate bright light and they have no eyelids either, so at least 2 hides per animal is appreciated.

water flow is another issue, I think your tank looks too turbulent for a axie, they are not big swimmers, but when they do dash about, their rather large tail can cause some objects to float loose, but they tend to "hobble" about the bottom of the tank, so you don't want your axie getting washed away.

feel free to ask anymore questions, and please be aware I'm not taking a swipe at you! may I ask, is this your first axie?

Aztecer

Reaction score
It is my first so I greatly appreciate your criticism and will take it all on board

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1