Illness/Sickness: Very sick axie need help so as

njberry

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
nat berry
so my gizzy was attacked by a tank mate and has been in the fridge for awhile now. doing fine but over the past day or so he has started to lay on his back with his mouth looking a bit puffed up like there is air stuck in there or somthing. here is a photo. i hope someone can help as i think he is a very sick axie and if i dont get some advice soo i think i might lose him :(

Attachments

• 2011-04-20 11.01.36.jpg
    2011-04-20 11.01.36.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 150
he is still like this but has also got a red patch on one side under his skin :( its not sounding good for him :(

Is there anything he could have stuck in his mouth? If not, this looks like an infection that would need to be treated by a vet as soon as possible.

Red patches under an amphibian's skin are often caused by Aeromonas, one of the "red leg" causing bacteria. The condition is highly contagious and often fatal. Refrigeration is a good way of slowing the progress of an infection but it is by no means a cure. Be sure to keep Gizzy separate from the others in your collection or he may transmit the illness to them.

What sort of filtration were you using in Gizzy's tank? What is the average temperature in said tank? How often do you remove axolotl feces from the tank? Any other water parameters would be highly useful in trying to determine the cause of the infection, other than the obvious injury.

On the subject of the infection, I've had good luck using Furan 2 to treat bacterial infections, including red leg. You can purchase it online or at most aquarium shops. Use a half dose, making sure to continue aeration throughout treatment.

I'm sorry that Gizzy isn't doing well. I wish you the best of luck.

For how long has he been in the fridge (is he still there?) and how often did you change the water? Did you add something to the water - if so, what?

Pardon me, if my post sounds rude, but your axies behavior is very alarming.

Tina

thanks for all the help, but sadly gizzmo passed away in the night. i think he may have got the infection after being atacked by a tank mate. at least now he is in no more pain. thanks again for all your help.

That's too bad, Nat. I'm sorry for your loss, but grateful he didn't suffer long.

I'm sorry to hear about Gizzy, Nat. I lost a little one in December myself.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back