Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill length

Catherine1

Reaction score
hi everyone.
there's probably some simple answer to what i'm going to ask, but, anyway, i've seen a lot of pics of axolotles with long gills. but both axolotles i have had have realy short gills. has it got something to do with age or breed or someting?

vlcuXX

Reaction score
I think your axolotls have had such short gills because of bad water quality >_> unless.... it can very well be genetics

Star

Reaction score
If your water quality has been fine then it would probably be down to genetics. The three I have, my wild type has gorgeous gills but the other 2 from a different breeder have small, poor gills.

dragonlady

Reaction score
To elaborate...gill length and fullness can be affected by water quality, genetics, diet, and IMO - water flow. Keep them in optimum conditions - consistant temp, decent params, offer plump worms. Axolotls originate from a lake environment, so as hobbyists, we try to re-create that dark, cool, slow moving water for them. Do these things and you could see changes happen with yours. ;) Their gills may never be long and luscious, depending on how long they were subjected to less than adequate conditions and their genetics. However, you can reverse some, if not all, of the ill effects in time.

edit: sorry, Star, didn't mean to step on you...:D

Star

Reaction score
It's np you know a lot more than me, I just try to help with my pitiful knowledge where possible :D

Catherine1

Reaction score
ok. so what do you mean by water quality? like PH levels? i'm still new to careing for axolotls and one of mine passed away because i didn't know how to care for him/her (i never found out). i don't want to make those mistakes again.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ammonia and Nitrite are much more damaging to axolotls than pH. Everyone gets hung up on pH. Axolotls can tolerate a wide range of pH, but only a tiny bit of ammonia or nitrite is enough to be toxic.

Catherine1

Reaction score
Ammonia and Nitrite are much more damaging to axolotls than pH. Everyone gets hung up on pH. Axolotls can tolerate a wide range of pH, but only a tiny bit of ammonia or nitrite is enough to be toxic.

so how do i test these?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1