Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fussy eater

Star

Reaction score
One of my axies is very thin, I've been trying to feed him up but it hasn't been working. Tried gillies, earthworms, daphnia, bloodworm, amphibian cubes, ham, beef, pretty much anything that I can think of to get a bit of weight on him! The only thing he seems to respond to is live bloodworm, nothing else... He ate an earthworm once, snapped at some a few more times but didn't eat them and they took up residence in the filter.
He's been at my mum's the last week or 2 while I have been away, he was eating the frozen bloodworm for the first couple of days with loads left but hasn't eaten for ages, told her to get some live bloodworm. She gave him it today and it was eaten in seconds, it seems to be the only thing he will actually eat...
I am happy getting it for him but it isn't always available and as I've just forked out nearly £400 on fixing my car (only so far my student loan can stretch to :p) I've been getting him frozen stuff as it lasts longer. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try give him or am I stuck just giving him live bloodworm? The other 2 couldn't care less whether its a finger, a turkey baster, a still frozen cube of bloodworm or fake plants..... They will try their hardest to eat it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1