Changing Axolotl's Diet?

Mandy6

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mandy
At the pet store my Axies were fed beef heart, I've been feeding that too but I now know it's not the best thing for them as a staple diet. I'd like to switch to earthworms when I can get some but I was wondering how do they go with a change of diet? Is there anything I need to do to make sure they take the change smoothly?

Axolotls are opportunistic eaters. This means if they have an opportunity to snap up some potential food, they will. They don't need a transitional period or anything. Once they see something wiggly coming their way, it's a done deal! :D

Ok great :D Just wanted to make sure a sudden diet change wouldn't upset them :) Thanks! Now hopefully I can find some nice worms for them

Check local bate shops if you have any. Some pet stores sell them and I heard Wal Mart does too (which I still have yet to check out for myself!).

I think Bunnings is the name of the place in Australia that carries worms. Does that sound familiar?

Oh awesome! I have a Bunnnings about 5 mins away! After the long weekend full of public holidays I'll go check them out! Thanks!

Just wanted to update, That I went to Bunnings today, bought a box that claims to have 500 worms in it (though it took me forever to just find 2 xD) and offered one each to my axies, and they loved them! Alex came over like he was looking for more xD

Just plain old earthworms as far as i can tell :eek: I must admit it doesn't say on the box, I just asked the lady if they sold earthworms, she told me what aisle they were in and I grabbed a box. All the boxes said the same thing on them and non specified the type of worm. They were sold as worm farm worms :p

Ahk, coz I've had success with one type (Which were pink and MASSIVE), and the red wiggler(?) type gets spat back in my face (not to mention I can't find ANY in my garden atm apart from one teeny tiny one that would barely get a look at, let alone be gobbled up!)

Red wigglers are the ones that most people get for their compost pile (or worm farm). They also sometimes exude a noxious fluid. You can get around this by cutting the worm, then rinse rinse rinsing it, and try feeding it to your axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back