Water getting 'warm' already & it's april!!

coral2reef

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we're having a mini-heatwave here in the UK (I'm NOT complaining!!) ... but living in a flat it tends to get very warm-I really didn't think I'd be having to deal with this problem in April though so I've been caught a bit off guard! My tropical tanks are loving it and it looks like the thermostats are barely having to click on :rolleyes: but the axie tank is really suffering and last night it had hit 23 degrees according to the temperature strip!

I know I have to be careful not to lower the temperature in the tank too quickly but I'm having real trouble lowering it at all. I've been floating sealed bags of ice in the water and replacing them with freshly frozen ones when they melt but this has only resulted in one degree less - seems a bit like I'm fighting a losing battle as the water temperatue is increasing slightly each day :confused:

Any other tips?! I even did a 30% water change the other night when not really needed just to put cold water in .... Is leaving the tank hood open going to be any help? ... although I'd only be happy to do this when I'm in the flat incase Dorito escaped ....

I know you can buy chillers - but I'm not really looking to go down that line as they're quite expensive ....

Fans set up blowing against the tank any good?

It does get pretty warm in my flat during summer and we have those ridiculous windows that only tilt open so we don't get much airflow :mad:

It is nice and warm isn't it? :happy:

Firstly, buy a digital aquarium thermometer (about £10 from Maplins or Ebay). Those stick on strips are usually wildly inaccurate and not to be trusted. Not only will you have an accurate water temperature reading but you can use it to see if your flat has a cooler spot to move the tank to. Often the floor is the coolest zone and the higher up you go the warmer it gets.

Secondly, open your window in the evening, early morning and if safe to do so during the night. The night temps are still pretty cool so you can bring the overall temperature of the flat down just by opening windows at the right time. However tempted you are do not open the window during the hottest part of the day - that just lets warm air in. A fan can help the exchange of cool air whilst the window is open.

A small fan directed at the water surface will typically lower the temperature by 1-2C. Frozen water bottles will reduce temps by another degree or two so keep enough in the freezer to replace twice a day. Keep curtains or blinds closed during the day - sunlight coming through windows will increase the air temperature significantly. Water changes are also a good idea as you've found. Let your cold tap run for a while to make sure you're getting the coldest water.

This article has some great ideas too: Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

My temperature strip has gone up to 22-23C today too - it usually sits at the 19-20C mark, so I've got my fan ready, but nowhere to put it :eek: I think it's going to have to sit on top of the TV, LoL! Needs a good wipe though, as it's got very dusty from sitting in the "dog room" for them when we had the warm weather last year (1 of my dogs could open doors to escape + the other can open windows to escape, so I have bolts / child locks on everything + didn't want to risk leaving the windows open when I was out). I'm currently looking for a mesh lid, to replace the typical hinged aquarium lid, as I don't want my girs jumping out of the water either.
I'm trying to avoid ice packs / bottles, because of the fluctuating temperatures, but wouldn't frequent water changes do the same? :confused:
My tank is already out of direct sunlight - always has been.
Will keep watching for more tips though, as it's meant to get even hotter this weekend, LoL!

It is nice and warm isn't it? :happy:

Firstly, buy a digital aquarium thermometer (about £10 from Maplins or Ebay). Those stick on strips are usually wildly inaccurate and not to be trusted. Not only will you have an accurate water temperature reading but you can use it to see if your flat has a cooler spot to move the tank to. Often the floor is the coolest zone and the higher up you go the warmer it gets.

Secondly, open your window in the evening, early morning and if safe to do so during the night. The night temps are still pretty cool so you can bring the overall temperature of the flat down just by opening windows at the right time. However tempted you are do not open the window during the hottest part of the day - that just lets warm air in. A fan can help the exchange of cool air whilst the window is open.

A small fan directed at the water surface will typically lower the temperature by 1-2C. Frozen water bottles will reduce temps by another degree or two so keep enough in the freezer to replace twice a day. Keep curtains or blinds closed during the day - sunlight coming through windows will increase the air temperature significantly. Water changes are also a good idea as you've found. Let your cold tap run for a while to make sure you're getting the coldest water.

This article has some great ideas too: Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Okay will look at getting a digi one ASAP - luckily I don't have to worry about the temperature in winter as I keep my bedroom icey cold with the C/heating off (can't bear it warm in the bedroom!)

Unfortunately the tank can't move - all my tanks are in my bedroom as my flatmate is not a fan of animals :rolleyes: I think she has a soft spot for the axie but insists on calling it 'the monster' :lol:

The windows have to be shut at night as I literally live on a railway line - despite what they say you DON'T get used to it! :(

Sunlight is not a problem as the windows and blinds are shut all day as I am out at work so I can continue doing that easily. I will make a point to remember to open the window in the evenings when I am in. I've tried explaining the window only open in the evenings thing to my flatmate but she insists on having hers open all day and then complaining her room is hot :lol:

Looks like I'll be investing in a small fan - not sure how I can set this up to blow on the water either though memojo1979?! ....and continuing with the zip bags of ice - my axie and fish are taking over my freezer! there is already has half a shelf with various frozen foods and now there's all this ice to make :rolleyes:

what kind of lid do you have on it? My new tank used to house some form of reptile so has holes cut in the top there they used to put the basking lamps so I just try get it to stay put and blow through the hole lol. Works until the cat gets bored....

What sort of filter are you using? Using an air filter could reduce the temperature and adding an a few air stones could would increase evaporation and cool down the water, too. :)

I can't believe how warm it is! I'm really lucky that the annexy-type-thing I live in is like a cave; it gets barely any sunlight at all!

I'm so glad I've read this thread. I opened my window thinking it would help keep my room cool! *face palm*

I've done a water change (it's water change day anyway luckily) which helped a lot and also have a fan going which has brought the temp down by 2. So I'm at 18 again now *wipes brow* and to think I was beginning to look forward to the sun!

Maybe if you can't move your tank you could invest in some large tubs for emergencies? I've been buying them out so I have enough to take my axies down into the coolest part of the house if needed.

Like Mark said it's cooler on the floor so even if you can't move them to a different area of the flat popping them on the floor might knock it down by 1-2! :happy:

If you can, purchase a screen lid, and then just set the fan right on top of that. Blow it directly onto the water.

Just be aware that with a fan blowing on the surface of the water, you'll likely have a thin whitish gunky film build up. That's just dust settling on the surface of the water. You can prevent that with an airstone or filter breaking the surface tension.

Question about external filters.

Is there anyone who has tried to set down a filter in a Styrofoam box and cool down water that way? A box that covers say, 2 / 3 of the container's height, with a space of 10cm around the hole box where it can fit ice packs, and then a lid over the box.

Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Cheers for all the suggestions guys!

To answer a few questions - I am using quite a large tetra hang on filter which is elevated so it pours the filtered water into the tank so there is constant water movement at the surface - and I also have an an air pump running in the tank - which at the moment is running 24/7 - don't worry the axie loves it (I however do NOT at night!)

the hood I have on the tank can be hinged all the way open or there is 2 lids on it that open - there is no way to fully remove the lid though which is why I might have a problem with a fan - need to find something meshy that is sturdy enough to lay over the top and support a fans weight I guess?

I will consider moving him to floor if the temperature creeps up any more but I don't want to distress him by trying to catch him and moving him - how long is it okay to keep it in an unfiltered container? Unfortunately all 3 of my filters are busy at the moment :rolleyes: ... at the moment although I've only had him a little while he hands feeds so I don't want to scare him ...

Is there any symptoms to heat distress??

edited to say: the question above (sorry your screen name is sooooo long!) not quite sure I get what you mean but I know there is debate about putting ice into a filter as it can kill off the beneficial filter bacteria etc - or did you mean s'thing else?

Last edited:
edited to say: the question above (sorry your screen name is sooooo long!) not quite sure I get what you mean but I know there is debate about putting ice into a filter as it can kill off the beneficial filter bacteria etc - or did you mean s'thing else?

Just write grius next time=)
gg.jpg

No, i did not mean to put ice packs directly in the filter, i was thinking about place them around the filter in a box of insulation, and inside that box use ice packs..A sketch is a easy way to show.
But maybe it only would kill the good bacteria, it will probably get really coold inside, atleast for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grius, I think this has been visited before. The consensus is that the water is not in the filter long enough to be cooled by the ice packs. The contact-time isn't adequate to cool the water.

Grius, I think this has been visited before. The consensus is that the water is not in the filter long enough to be cooled by the ice packs. The contact-time isn't adequate to cool the water

I was thinking that many may have thought about this before. Most cooling ideas dont work specially good, unfortunally this either then, as i suspected though.

We have hot weather in sweden to, but lucky enough i keep species that can take some "heat", so no probleme so far, And a large floor fan helps good.

It's always good to think outside of the box though. Sometimes cooling ideas work, sometimes they don't.

Well, I spent today making a mesh lid. Unfortunately, despite careful measuring, it has ended up too wide + not quite long enough :eek: It looks darn smart by itself though, LoL! So, I've just turned it upside down + plonked it on top for the moment - good enough for immediate use + I can perfect it to make another couple for permanent use (1 for my current tank + 1 for the lower tank, which my axie boy will eventually move in to)

Some photos of my new mesh lid :happy:
1st is a close-up.
2nd is a wider shot, showing where my fan is.
3rd shows it upside down on top of the tank.

Attachments

• DSCF3034.jpg
    DSCF3034.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF3033.jpg
    DSCF3033.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF3035.jpg
    DSCF3035.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 189
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back