Illness/Sickness: White gills on my axolotl

runic12

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Nick
Okay so my axoltol's gills suddenly seemed to have turned white, it seems that the actual gills themselves have gone white and it is not a growth, but then again I could just be seeing it wrong as I am inexperienced. I read somewhere that when not active sometimes blood doesn't go to the vesses in the gills so they seem white but then they should go back to normal which hasn't happend? I changed the water and I've also moved the tank to a cooler part of the tank, any suggestions?

Well, if your axolotl is albino or leucistic, then yes, the gills will fade with inactivity. The next time you feed him/her, check back in a few minutes, the gills should have a really nice bright pink-red color. If your axie is just laying around being a typical lazy axolotl, then the gills will be lighter than normal. Typically, faded gills are not a sign of anything wrong.

It is good you are being so observant. ;) Axolotls love to keep their keepers on their toes, so best to be prepared!

Okay thanks a lot :) I'm going to leave them in the cooler room anyway, it's a constant 18 degrees Celsius down there which is perfect, also darker :) when I kept them in my room I'd stay up quite late with the light on and I was always worried it annoyed them, anyway yeah thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back