Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies in Brisbane

mthom211

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am very very keen to get myself at least one axie, however I live in a sub-tropical climate (Brisbane) and it gets very hot in summer. I'm wanting to know if anybody in my area keeps axies and what they do in summer, I'm not sure if I will be able to afford a chiller by this Summer as I am still at school. I think this problem is the only thing wrong with Brissie fish wise. We ate all awesome here B)

also, the tank I want to get would hopefully be 4x18x18 divided into 3 equal parts. How many axies could I keep in one section?

Cheers.

dragonlady

Reaction score
In addition to Eric, why do you have it divided? If you get sub-adults, to adults you won't want this tank divided. they need room to move around.

If this measurement is in feet, you could put 4 in there quite comfortably without dividers.

To address your cooling issues, a chiller would be your best bet but have a look here - Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Lastly, please don't put axolotls in the same category as fish...they're really awesome amphibians! ;)

Colinna

Reaction score
I also live in Brisbane. I use frozen bottles of water to help keep the water temp down. However, I plan on getting a chiller before next summer as the temp still didn't get down to the optimum temp for Axi's. Also, make sure the tank is against an internal wall and not an external one. You don't want the tank against any wall that will heat up with the sun.

I would ditch the dividers in the tank if you can. I have two Axi's in a 3 foot tank, no dividers, and they wander all over it.

mthom211

Reaction score
Sorry, yes it is 4 feet, 120x45x45 hopefully. The reason I want to divide it is because I am only aloud 3 tanks, I also breed bettas so the other 2 sections are breeding tanks for them. I would love to let them have the whole tank but I couldn't keep my other hobby then :(

I'm starting to save up for a halai (spelling?) from guppies, I might be able to get it for Christmas aswell. That leaves the first few warm months without one though. I will check out that link in a sec :) thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That type of setup won't work. Axolotls and bettas have totally different temperature requirements.

mthom211

Reaction score
They won't be sharing water, it will be like 3 different tanks but it will only count as one. Oh and I will need to insulate the glass where the two tanks meet I think...

Blaze

Reaction score
I live in Brissie and I have to say you'll find it VERY hard tokeep a happy healthy axolotl without a chiller. Be warned though, because of our humid temperature and the cold temperature of the tank you will get condensation. My tank condeses 5-10 cups of water per day and I am getting a custom tank stand made with a gutter and rubber matting because the water seeps through your stands.

Minniechild

Reaction score
From across the border: G'day!
For me this summer my toolkit included: the biggest fan I could find, a younger sibling who could happily change over water bottles every forty five minutes (About how long they last before they defrost), and a smaller tank that was moved out into a continuously air-conditioned room when the temperature went above thirty three. I'd also suggest going out and buying a large box of Chunky's ears-they make a fantastic quarantine box for if you can't get the temps below 23 and staying there and you need to move your babies into the fridge.
And fingers crossed you can get your chiller (perhaps use betta baby funds?)

mewsie

Reaction score
Goodness, that sounds like a plan fraught with problems!

I don't really know much about bettas, so can't really comment, but from what i hear from our Aussie friends, it takes effort and investment and dedication to axolotlkind as it is, without having adjacent tanks at different temperatures to make it more complicated!

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
I had a battle keeping my tank below 20 in summer (I'm from perth) and our summers are long and hot lasting through to early april, but a dry heat so we don't get the condensation as much, but the tank evaporates fast, so couple that with a fan and a airstone, I was able to get drops of about 4 degrees, but it was still not enough, my axie spent some time in the beer fridge surrounded by bottles of coronas and beez neez.

she liked it in the fridge, the only problem was that the beer fridge had to be turned up, so the beer was not as cold as I would have liked, but it was never there long anyway :)

Colinna

Reaction score
LOL @ Chris!!

I used a fan on my tank, kept the lids off as well and reduced the light time. I did notice I got a lot of dust and debris into the tank with the fan blowing on it and the lids off, but at least it did help with the temp.

shells

Reaction score
Hi,
And good luck with your new additions.
Im with Blaze on this one... I live in Brisbane also... a chiller will make your life and your axies so much less stressful.. and condensation IS an issue, I wish I'd thought about it before setting my tank up!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1