Hello!

serpy101

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My name is Ed, and I'm brand new to caudata.org. I'm highly interested in rearing axolotl, but have never owned an amphibian before. This seems to be the best possible place to find out everything I need to know about how to properly look after a water-based pal :happy:

I'm studying a PhD in developmental genetics (do not worry, I'm only interested in owning axolotl as pets, and definitely not working on them!!!), and I study limb development and polydactyly. I work with chickens, but have come across axolotl a lot in related literature, which was what first captured my interest in this species. Having looked into them more, I am considering owning axolotl where I live (in Edinburgh).

I hope I can find some help with getting set up, and eventually be able to give back to the community here!

Bye for now,

Ed

Axolotls are definitely known for their limb development... and re-development in some cases!

Welcome to the forum, Ed!

Welcome to the Scottish contingent!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back