Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help My Axolotl won't eat !!!!!!!!

axie girl

Reaction score
Hey Guys i have had my axie for a few years now and everything was fine with him but now whenever i go to feed him he is always hiding in his log and won't come out and if he isn't in his log then he just won't eat at all he backs awayfrom the food. this has been going on for a while now and he is getting skiny i am worried
PS I have already cheaked his ph levels, the ammonia levels he has lots of clean water and i don't know what else to do :confused::cry:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What temperature are you keeping the tank?

What kind of food are you offering?

axie girl

Reaction score
well his water tempreature is mostly somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees celcius an i have been givving him axolotl pelets and earth worms but he never eats the worms and hardly ever eats pelets

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's a pretty big temperature variation. Why does it swing so wildly?

axie girl

Reaction score
well on hot days it is mostly beteween 18 and colder days it is lower

Minniechild

Reaction score
Have you tried leaving the worm in place? My Peta flat out refuses to eat if someone's watching her. Also what type of worms? Are they the really dark red ones or the pretty pink ones? (the red ones taste disgusting, especially if they get chopped, and for me currently, I can't find them OR the pinkies).
From my own experience with fussy eaters, perhaps try your axie on frozen bloodworm, beef heart (you can get it in cubes at the LFS or fresh from Woolies-cut it up into teeny tiny pieces) and live blackworms just to try and get SOMETHING into that tummy, and maybe see if you can get some different worms as well...?
Good luck, I hope he pulls through!

Last edited:

Minniechild

Reaction score
*shrug* the hazards of being a kid with full run of the backyard :D And agreed with the pellets! Mine took one nibble of the good stuff (worms when they're around, beef heart, guppies, shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms) and now won't even touch them...(that's what they reared onto after they ate all the taddies out of their breeding pool)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1