P. chinensis juvie: the shine?

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Lydia
We have had our P. chinensis juvies for about 9 months. They all started at the same size, but one ('Roger') has not grown as much as the others, and refuses to enter the water. He is not an aggressive eater and often takes a dozen attempts to get an earthworm slice into his mouth. He lives on a small island in an otherwise aquatic tank. Temperatures are around 20 degrees C.

Lately, Roger's back warts seem to be disappearing and the centre of his back looks slightly shiny. See attached photo.

Does he have the shine? What might be causing it? What should be done with him? We have a terrestrial tank with moss and bark; is that a better environment for him?

YouTube - Poor Roger!

Attachments

• roger.jpg
    roger.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 265
It does look like it could be the beginning of the shine. Not an advanced case at any rate, but definitely suspicious.
I would move it to the terrestrial tank. Make sure to have various gradients of humidity (stacked piles of bark, layers of moss, etc).
You may have good results leaving live foods around for it to hunt, or offering a variety of items to see which ones are accepted best.

Azhael,

Thanks for your response! I just wanted to provide a bit more information on the situation before moving him, as I'm worried about stressing him out further.

Roger has been living on his island with the little flower pot hide for several months. A few weeks ago, his hide got knocked into the water and I left it there as Roger seemed to become more interested in the water in its absence. He even began to take brief swims. I left him without a hide for about a week. Then I noticed the shine-symptoms and replaced his hide. Since the hide has been replaced, he has resumed eating as normal. But his skin remains as pictured. So: could this have all been caused by his being without a (terrestrial) hide for a week? Now that he has his hide back and has resumed eating normally, should I take this as a sign that he's getting better? Or is it still advisable to move him to the terrestrial tank?

Thanks again for your advice!!

I would get a terrestrial tank ready, but watch him for a bit longer. if he shows any sign of deterioration (stops eating, skin gets worse, starts to lose muscle tone, becomes lethargic etc), move him to the terretrial tank. It should have a soil-based substrate (not paper towels), with moss, dead leaves and stack of cork bark. Make sure it is wetted more at one end.

Good luck

C

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back