Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wild fire salamanders

Lou19

Reaction score
Hi all
Im new here but ive learnt so much about salamanders already!!
I live in central Portugal where we have many wild fire salamanders. We have a drain kind of thing by the side of our house which is always shaded and always damp which the salamanders LOVE and at one point we had 5 in there!! They come and go but there's sure to be at least one in there. There really lovely and ive taken great intrest in them, im really enjoying reading about them and how they get on in captivity. I didn't know about them last summer so i don't know where they go during the heat of the summer, can anybody tell me where they like to hang out when its hot in the wild?

Im going to try and upload some pics of some now :) .......

Allistor

Reaction score
They go to caves made by rats, cracks on the ground and other cool places. I remember a case of a person that tested the place where a chioglossa was (about 2 meters deep on the ground) and in the middle of the summer that spot was 14º. They know exactly what they have to do according to the season :happy:

benw

Reaction score
ould be nice to see some salamandra pics in their native habitat

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!