Albi vomiting

mewsie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I just witnessed poor little Albi vomiting. He threw up two lumps slightly bigger than a normal poop... Very fibrous and matted. He still seems to be retching every few minutes, and has a lumpy side. I actually saw him vomit so I know it's not poop.

He is floating, but that is normal behaviour for him, not 'can't get to the bottom' floating, just chilling out floating. He's about 14cm.

Tank params:

11 gal tank
Sand substrate
Temp: 18c
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 (water change due this afternoon)
Diet: Earthworms (last one was Friday night)
No tank mates.

There is absolutely nothing in his tank he could have swallowed, the only changes recently have been a couple of new plants, a piece of bogwood and a new rock but that was about 2 weeks ago. Other than the lumpy side, he looks ok and is behaving 'normally' for Albi.

I did find a mauled moss ball in his tank about 3 weeks ago, and removed it and bunged it in with the cherry shrimp, wondering if he swallowed any and it's taken til now to work through/back out the way it went in.

Not had any of them vomit that I'm aware of before, any advice?

Poor little bugger, it's awful seeing him unwell.

Awh no, not Albi! :(

Sounds like when ol' Arbs and Alan were ill. They started with being sick. At least Arbie did. Something hadn't digested properly on her stomach and so she needed antibiotics and to not be given food for a few days.

Has Albi been interested in food? Or is he off eating as well?

If he's not himself in a couple of days might be vets time!

Hopefully now he has vomited the fibrous stuff he may be ok. One of mine munched on a moss ball once, when I fished it out I found a worm had crawled in. I would think an axolotl would find digesting this pretty difficult.;) Carry on keeping a close eye on Albi.

Thanks folks!

Just came back from a walk and he was retching again after a more peaceful afternoon. He didn't vomit anything back up, instead came some rather sudden diarrhoea. I'll continue to watch him carefully and obsessively and see how he's doing tomorrow.

I've not offered him food, tonight is Worm Night, but I think I'll hold off offering him anything until he's seeming better.

Wahhh :(

Ps: Julia, lol @ the wormy moss ball!

Well, when I went through this morning there was a HUGE lump of the stringy, matted stuff, which I am now fairly certain was once moss ball (it has a green tinge to it).

It's a really nasty lump of stuff, I wonder what on earth possessed him to destroy and chow down on the ball in the first place (maybe a worm got in like Julias?).

He seems fine so far today, he's in his usual place on top of the filter with his nose in the outlet pipe, but I'll keep watching him in case there's something else untoward going on.

Fingers crossed!

Ps: as a cool side note, the destroyed ball i put in with the shrimp is almost a perfect ball again! That stuff is weird!

Last edited:
I agree with Julia. It sounds like he got into something plant-y and it didn't digest like he hoped.

Good luck with him. If he's acting normally, try offering a worm. The extra food in his belly can help push out anything that might be residual in his gut.

there was a similar incident on my dorm hall this year, as i and another girl both care for axies, fortunately moose was fine after a few days.we did end up having to take him to the vet though cus we were so concerned that he was seriously and fatally ill. the vet just sorta laughed at us when we came running in frantically with a very bemused looking axolotl who had just eaten a tiny bit of moss which had already left his system.id like to see her watch her tiny aquatic best friend throw up and not be extreamly distraught.i hope your little fellow is feeling fine and dandy soon!
Axie

mewsie..........is albi ok now????

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back