Question: About shrinking and growing gills

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I know the gills could shrink or grow... And that it also depends on the water quality and things like that...
The question... I recently bought an axolotl from someone who had too much of them in one tank. The gills aren't really big.... My other axies do have bigger gills.
So... will the gills of my new axie grow too or are the 'smaller' gills now "permanently" short? (She's almost about a year old I guess (but already made some babies...)

I wish I could help but I've been wondering the same thing. Both my axies have quite small gills. I'd love them to have long fluffy ones like I see in pictures here! I think my albinos gills have grown a bit, so I think it is possible for them to regrow after been very small. I'm hoping a diet change will help mine

IMHO, The gills will grow back...The older the Axolotl,the slower the re-growth.Even slower w/over crowding or stress.I'm sure genetics play a part as well.
A generous diet will certainly provide the nutritian needed for growth.

I believe (and have read) that gill growth can be dependent on water quality, genetics, diet, and water flow.

How much gills will regenerate may depend on how long they were kept in less than adequate conditions. However, if they are still fairly young, their gills still have the ability to get fluffy again. The length may not increase all that much if they are adults (based on my observations and experience) but at least you know that you're giving them a better quality of life, thereby offering them the opportunity to live longer and healthier lives. ;)

I have noticed with my adult axie (I base that on size, I've had her about 8 months, no idea how old she was went I got her) her gills will grow to be quite long and then in the next week they will shrink to almost non existence. What is strange is that is tends to occur more on her right side than her left. For a comparison her gill feather bits start out half again as long as yours Morrison, and then shrink to 1/4 of that.

I don't do anything different, I have a chiller so temperature stays the same, and she gets fed pretty much constantly pellets with treats of brine shrimp and regular weekly water changes. It doesn't seem to worry her so I just put it down to randomness. I can at least vouch that for some of them they grow back quite fast.

(Edit: It occurred to me that someone may suggest attack from a tank mate, she's in a 3 foot tank alone, no mates and nothing she could get them caught in. I doubt even the filter could manage it with the way Ive got it set up unless she likes to float in the middle of the water column when Im not looking)

Last edited:
I have noticed with my adult axie (I base that on size, I've had her about 8 months, no idea how old she was went I got her) her gills will grow to be quite long and then in the next week they will shrink to almost non existence. What is strange is that is tends to occur more on her right side than her left. For a comparison her gill feather bits start out half again as long as yours Morrison, and then shrink to 1/4 of that.

I don't do anything different, I have a chiller so temperature stays the same, and she gets fed pretty much constantly pellets with treats of brine shrimp and regular weekly water changes. It doesn't seem to worry her so I just put it down to randomness. I can at least vouch that for some of them they grow back quite fast.

(Edit: It occurred to me that someone may suggest attack from a tank mate, she's in a 3 foot tank alone, no mates and nothing she could get them caught in. I doubt even the filter could manage it with the way Ive got it set up unless she likes to float in the middle of the water column when Im not looking)
you should feed her mainly earth worms and reduce the amount of pelets you feed them.
how are the water test results do they change at all if they do is it at the same time the gills start to shrink?
do you add anything to the water/tank around the time your axies gills start to shrink e.g brine shrimp, maybe the salt from the brine shrimp is upseting your axie.
how fast do the gills shrink and grow back.
a reason why your axies gills are shrinking may be she has some type of fungis or parasite on her gills.
Sam

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back