Question: Limb regeneration

Star

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Star
Just wondering what a regenerating limb should look like... Poor Jake has a bone stump sticking out that now has some strange, white, fluffy stuff around it. I'm not sure if this is fungus or the limb regenerating... He's been in the fridge for 2 days now but really not sure what I should be doing to help him

If you are seeing some white fluff, then most likely it is fungus. Limb regeneration should never look cottony. ;) Glad you have Jake on holiday but I would suggest a bit of time in a salt bath too.

About 2-3 teaspoons per liter for no more than 15 minutes every 12 hours until you know the fluff is gone. Best of luck, Jake should be back to himself in no time. :D

Is it OK to put him back in the tank with my little guy? I bought them together. Think I'll leave my big girl in the fridge for now until my 2ft is disinfected and set up

If there is a huge difference between the two, you might want to wait. You can try it and if they are like most of mine, they won't pay any attention to each other anyway.

Mbig.GIF

What it looks like :)

The one that is in the 4ft at the moment is about half an inch smaller than Jake. They are siblings and have always been fine together, it was my wildtype that ripped Jake's leg off. The major difference between Jake & Hoshi is weight really but Jake is the fatter one :)

Ooh thanks for that Morrison! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back