Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do they ever stop eating?!

puppetmaster04

Reaction score
I have most of the hatchlings out now, and there's gotta be about 150 of the little guys.

I'm seriously struggling to keep up with their feeding! Bought 12 bags of daphnia on Thursday but about 50% of each bag is dead. I'm really annoyed at the pet shop, does this happen to anyone else?

Put 3 of the bags into a container with some mud and pellet things with the intention of starting my own culture but seems that they mostly died, or is that normal for the start of a culture? I don't trust it. Just going to see what happens. Am I meant to have a lid on the container?

I know baby brine shrimp are better but I couldn't get any of them ANYWHERE last week so I ordered some on ebay, they arrived dead. So annoyed at that as well.

Worst week for babies to arrive really, last Friday and this Monday are bank holidays so the pet shops were closed.

Gonna resort to buying some Sea Monkeys from Toys'R'Us tomorrow to feed to them in the meantime.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my current situation with you all. The babies aren't starving - most of them seem to have full bellies but if this is how much they eat then I am in trouble when they grow bigger!!

p.s. if anyone wants any, I'm in Manchester (UK). I need to get rid of them all as I'm going travelling round Central America in September, I might take some and release them in their natural habitat haha.

D

DingoDoo

I have most of the hatchlings out now, and there's gotta be about 150 of the little guys.

I'm seriously struggling to keep up with their feeding! Bought 12 bags of daphnia on Thursday but about 50% of each bag is dead. I'm really annoyed at the pet shop, does this happen to anyone else?

Put 3 of the bags into a container with some mud and pellet things with the intention of starting my own culture but seems that they mostly died, or is that normal for the start of a culture? I don't trust it. Just going to see what happens. Am I meant to have a lid on the container?

I know baby brine shrimp are better but I couldn't get any of them ANYWHERE last week so I ordered some on ebay, they arrived dead. So annoyed at that as well.

Worst week for babies to arrive really, last Friday and this Monday are bank holidays so the pet shops were closed.

Gonna resort to buying some Sea Monkeys from Toys'R'Us tomorrow to feed to them in the meantime.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my current situation with you all. The babies aren't starving - most of them seem to have full bellies but if this is how much they eat then I am in trouble when they grow bigger!!

p.s. if anyone wants any, I'm in Manchester (UK). I need to get rid of them all as I'm going travelling round Central America in September, I might take some and release them in their natural habitat haha.

i am in manc too, raised mine from eggs too they now 50 days old. I struggled feeding them as could not get BBS eggs but in the end just fed them every 2 days for the first 2 weeks just to save what food i had. Now the little critters are nearly 2 months old and eating 2 frozen bloodworm block a day between the 16 of them. I have found out its quite expensive rearing them hate to think what 150 would be like.
Every time they see me they come up to the surface giving me such a wanting cute look that you cant refuse.

you can follow my eggs>larve>hatchlings adventure on this link Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Axolotls - Follow the Eggs and Hatchlings

puppetmaster04

Reaction score
2 blocks of bloodworm a day? holy cow.. how long was it before they were about an inch? I can give most of them to pet shops at that time.

Definitely will have to set up cultures, I can't afford this! Haha

D

DingoDoo

2 blocks of bloodworm a day? holy cow.. how long was it before they were about an inch? I can give most of them to pet shops at that time.

Definitely will have to set up cultures, I can't afford this! Haha

my largest is only 6cm so still a good while to go yet, the smallest one is only 3cm. It turned 6cm only last week, roughly on day 45.
I have been told by most shops its still too small to sell to them, they said maybe at 10cm they will take them. Only swan street shop in CC would take them, places like urmston aquatics not interested, rest of shops not set up for creatures like this.
they are really greedy things but so cute when then see you coming and come up to surface with their beedy eyes and front legs paddling. will be hard to say bye to them when time comes as easy to get attached to them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!