Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worm shaped object on Om Nom's tail :(

Anubis

Reaction score
This is kind of a long story so if anything is unclear or if I'm missing something let me know because if it's not here I forgot to include it.

ANYWAY, I'm in the process of cycling my tank so in the mean time I have my ~ 3 month old leucistic axolotl Om Nom (about 2 inches long) in a large Tupperware container till the tank is cycled. While he's in there, I'm changing his water every other day with conditioned tap water which is at 65 deg F at the time I add the water to the container. Om Nom is kept in my bedroom which is also a constant 65 deg F and I leave him in indirect sunlight (enough light for him to see where he's going but never any bright light, he's always kept in the shade). I'm also feeding him on a diet of frozen blood worms and brine shrimp and I feed him every other day. When I change his water, I move him to another Tupperware container that has fresh conditioned water at 65 deg F and then move him in to his larger container after I toss his old water and add fresh conditioned water.

9 days ago, I was changing his water when he unfortunately panicked and jumped out of the container before I scooped him and landed on my carpet (about a 2 foot drop). I scooped him up and put him in fresh conditioned water immediately (don't worry, I tossed out that stupid smaller container he jumped out of. I'm never using that thing again and I'm currently using larger containers with higher walls that he can't jump out of for his holding and changing container). After that, I left him in the dark and turned the temperature in my room down to 55 deg F for the weekend. Two days later, he recovered both his appetite (man does he eat a lot), his color (very bright red gills and slightly pink skin), and his gills look fine (no fibril loss that I can see, very red, and the gills don't look damaged). He's also moving around a lot.

I went to change his water a few hours ago when I noticed two long tubular shaped things attached to the tip of his tail (it's just on his tail, no where else on his body). I took pictures on my phone and I"m in the process of trying to move them over (sorry, new phone) but let me try to describe them: they're a few centimeters long, opaque, and attached quite firmly to his tail (he's swimming around his container a lot happily doing laps). His attitude hasn't changed (he's still eating A LOT (a whole cube of frozen brine shrimp for example within 2 minutes), his gills and tone looks fantastic, and he still pauses to look up at me when I check in on him) but I'm really concerned that this might be some kind of fungus or anchorworm. I'm really considering giving him a salt bath for a few days just to be sure but I"m not sure if that's a good idea or not.

I'm going to talk to my husband when he wakes up in the morning so I can figure out how to upload these pictures on here so you all can help. If there's anything that I accidentally left out let me know so I can help you help Om.

P.S: one last thing in case someone asks: my tap water has all the right levels (pH: 7, ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 0). I tested it with API freshwater master test kit drops when I moved in to this place a few months ago. Thanks!

mewsie

Reaction score
Om Nom! What a lovely name.

Photos will definitely help here.

Are the wormy things sticking out of the tail, or running along it? If Om Nom has torn his tail, I could see how that might look like a worm, as it tends to look a lot 'whiter'.

Anchor worms tend to stick out at horrible angles from what I've seen.

Hope it's just a simple tear which Om Nom can heal using all that brine shrimp!

Anubis

Reaction score
Om Nom! What a lovely name.

Photos will definitely help here.

Are the wormy things sticking out of the tail, or running along it? If Om Nom has torn his tail, I could see how that might look like a worm, as it tends to look a lot 'whiter'.

Anchor worms tend to stick out at horrible angles from what I've seen.

Hope it's just a simple tear which Om Nom can heal using all that brine shrimp!

The first thing I looked for was a tear but I didn't see one. When he swims I can see that whatever it is it's sticking to his tail at a 45 deg angle.

If anyone knows how to upload photos from an iPhone to your computer or how to move photos from my phone to this forum that would help ^_^().

mewsie

Reaction score
The first thing I looked for was a tear but I didn't see one. When he swims I can see that whatever it is it's sticking to his tail at a 45 deg angle.

If anyone knows how to upload photos from an iPhone to your computer or how to move photos from my phone to this forum that would help ^_^().

The easiest way if you don't have MobileMe is to send it via email and pick it up on your mac/pc and upload from there. Else you could plug your iPhone in and sync your photos to your computer using iTunes :)

I think photos would really help us!

Anubis

Reaction score
Yay! Thanks for the help. Sorry I'm so technologically illiterate.

Let me know if you can't find it. In the picture where his tail is curled a bit you can see a light tubular shaped object. You can also see a bit of fuzz on the tip of his tail in that picture as well and even in the second one.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 562
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 342
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 335

Anubis

Reaction score
So at this point there hasn't been a change in the things on his tail. Should I try a salt bath or is there something better that I could try?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1