Is my axolotl pregnant?

angie090485

Reaction score
Country
Australia
She is a new girl, and I have been very specific about only getting girls so as to not end up with babies that I am unequipped to look after!

A day after we got her she started getting fat and now, two weeks later, she is very large! She is still active but wobbles a lot, still eats as much as she can get before Ottel steals it from her... seems like a pretty normal and happy axie. But fat!

I took a photo into the acquarium shop and they said straight away that she is pregnant. But then I read something about the ladies plopping themselves on the man sperm and then plopping out eggs the next day. If this is the case, then she is having a very long pregnancy!

I will attempt to attach a photo of her obviously large belly. Also of note, she is not floating at all so she is not bloated, and she has never been around gravel or any small object other than food so has not eaten anything bad.

Is the stuff I have read rubbish? Should I trust the ladies at the shop? Is she having a hysterical pregnancy?

That is pretty much it.

Axe.html

axies don't get "pregnant" as such, what you said is basically what happens when axies reproduce.

your picture isn't working for me, so I can't give proper advice, but what do you feed your axies? and how often?

Yes I probably should have not used the word pregnant as it is what has made google very difficult to get help from on account of every similar question getting only the response 'they don't get pregnant' and nothing more! My apologies.

The image does not work for me either unless you right click and say go to link... so hopefully that will work. Otherwise it is at Axe.

They are fed a small pellet of blood worms every 2 days or so. Ottel has been happy with that for about six months, Axe is new as we thought perhaps she was bored on her own.

If you right click on the link and open it into another window, it will open :D

Her lower abdomen does look a tad odd, I do not think she is carrying eggs as they tend to lay them quite quickly. It may be worth separating her so you can monitor more precisely. what she is eating and passing
What temperature is she kept at ?

16 degrees, celsius. There is not much I can do to separate her unless I put her in a very small tank with ice, which will be unstable. I guess i could try to build a barrier in the tank? If it is could be something to do with her eating and excrement could you please possibly tell me what those things may be.

Please see in original question;

"...and she has never been around gravel or any small object other than food so has not eaten anything bad."

Well thanks for all of the help. I took her to my vet and now she is fine.

Well thanks for all of the help. I took her to my vet and now she is fine.

Hi, I'm glad your axie is doing fine now, could you please tell what was wrong with her for future searches?

Thanks in advance,

You neednt of worried if she was carrying eggs if you have all females. She would still neeed the male to lay the sperm down for her to fertalize them and this would have been done within hours. So if you have had her a while it wouldnt be a problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back