Larvae in uncycled water

Smiggels

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have about 12 eggs that are about to break free sometime this week. I have a 10 gallon tank that the eggs are resting in and I have a 55gallon tank that I am currently in the process of cycling to house them in once they get bigger. My plan of action for the whole process after doing some research is to put each larvae in a seperate small container so i will have 12 containers 1 for each and i can feed them and monitor there eating/clean the water easily. Assuming anyone who reads this agrees on this method (love to hear some feedback) will using uncycled water be ok? I plan on using dechlorinator to do the water changes, will that be good enough? I planned on doing a partial water change every day until they get big enough to go intot he big tank. How big should they be before i put them in my big tank and not have to worry about all of them getting enough food? But my biggest concern is just making sure I give them the easiest growth stage possible. I dont want them dying because of my water quality or whatever. I will do whatever it takes to make sure they all grow up healthy!

If anybody has any better suggestions for how to raise my new axies i would love any help! This is my first time and I would really like to have a success! =P Thanks for the help!

btw I will be feeding them brine shrimp

Last edited:
I do daily water changes using bottled spring water. A tad expensive but I know it's safe :) They should be fine living together until leg buds start to appear. Saying that, some of my little ones have feet emerging now and are still fine with each other, I only move them when there is a big size difference to be on the safe side. My lot haven't really gone for BBS but seem to adore the daphnia and eat adult ones when I swear they shouldn't be yet!

I am currently using declorinated tap water to do my daily water changes. They seem to be thriving. They are just over two months and I have been doing this since they hatched. I do have some in tanks, with filters, but most of them are individual containers, changed daily. At first I scooped the babies out with a tbsp, now I use a cup, and wash each container.

I'm willing to buy the bottled water should I get distilled? I'm currently testing making brine shrimp before they hatch. Problem I'm having with this is the eggs are sticking to bottom / sides of container will the brine shrimp still hatch or do they Need to come off the edges? So one person says containers the other says all in one tank. Is there a best method? I plan on doing the single container for eAch but I won't if I don't have to lol. Sorry for my weird typos I'm still learning to type with itouch lol. ThAnks for your support can't wait for the little guys!

My opinion is it depends on how much work you are willing to do.

But techniques are alright,

To me individual cups is a bit tedious because I have at least 7 different tanks.

Hi,

please don´t use destilled water! Bottled water or dechlorinated tap water will be fine.
I raise all my larvae in one adaquate tub and I separate them only by size. :D

Tina

So raising my 12 larvae in my 10 gallon tank will be suitable? no need to put them each in a seperate container?

How big are your larvae? When they were just hatched a 10 gal tank might be too big for 12. But when they are nearly 3,4 cm in size the tank will be ok for them.

I do water changes with water that has been sitting for at least 24 hours. I tend to not use dechlorinator, using small tupperware containers until the Axolotl grows quite a bit.

What size containers Eric? And how much water do you fill them with? Mid-way?

they haven't hatched yet, but will be hatching sometime this week I'm sure. I am just trying to be 100% prepared for when they do hatch so I'm not scrambling around asking questions left and right waiting for a response meanwhile I could be doing something wrong lol =P

So this info is perfect! I have a bunch of small tupperware containers that i planned to put each one into until they get a bit bigger then I guess I will just put them all into the 10gallon tank. My next plan was to put them into the 55gallon tank once they are all large enough to eat the next type of food like worms or something that wouldnt spoil my water like brineshrimp. Does that sound like a good plan or should I wait til they are a specific size to move them to the 55 gallon tank?

55 gallons is a very large tank. I would wait until they are a decent size, can use a feeding jar, or until you can hand feed them chunks of earthworm.

What is a feeding jar? So the 10gallon tank is enough to raise all 12 until they are big enough to go to the 55 galllon? I guess my question is how much room do they need for all of them to be together? At what size is it safe to say they are getting stressed out being crammed in a 10 gallon tank. Thanks for everybodys ongoing support here! Once I'm a pro at this I'll be sure to help others =P

not sure about tank size, but a feeding jar is just a regular jam jar or similar (cleaned out obviously!) big enough for your axie to fit into and eat out of. That way, all the bloodworms/food chunks etc. stay in the jar, and out of your tank!

If the jar doesn't go into the tank where do I put it?

The jar goes in the tank. The bloodworms go into the jar. That way you don't have bloodworms scattered all over your tank.

Ohhhh ok gotcha! Thanks! =P

Btw I tested making some brine shrimp and I have a TON of unhatched eggs. All the package told me to do was use the aquarium salt have the water to 85-90 degrees and aerate it. I did all that but have a TON of unhatched eggs, any suggestions?

How long did you wait? Sometimes they take more than allotted on the package, especially if it's an older package of eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back