I know im probaly crazy but ?

water dawg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nate
hi um my axolotl dragon i know this is crazy but i noticed the tip of his tail is starting to look like a tail more than a tail fin :eek:
is this normal?

How old is he? Could be that the pet shop duped you and he's actually a baby salamander... in which case he might be morphing

Pics would help

Hi Nate,

can you provide a photo, please?

How old is your axie and what are the water parameters? What are his gills looking like and what are you feeding him?
There are many reasons for that. It can be quite normal (age, regenerating) or caused by bad water quality or diet.

@Boo Penguin: as you were told before, morphing is a very rare phenomenon!!! :angry:
It would be more helpful to think about the more obvious causes!

Tina, often in the midwest part of the US, people are sold 'axolotls' that are surely tiger salamander larvae.

Tina, often in the midwest part of the US, people are sold 'axolotls' that are surely tiger salamander larvae.

And you knew this member is from the midwest how?

Based on Nate's previous post I would assume he's from Nevada. But, also looking through past posts, he would also seem to have 4 water dogs in addition to his Axolotls, and from his pictures they appear to be golden albinos.

I think the poster will need to respond before we can figure out what is really going on.

I agree to Eric. It doesn´t make any sense to suggest about Nate´s pet until we got a response and pics. :happy:

Hey yes its true im from Nevada Las Vegas, and i do have 4 water dogs and i albino golden axolotl:happy:
My axolotl well i got him as a juvinile in late january he was the size of my pinkie and now he is bigger than my palm.
Boo Penguin i know for a fact i was not duped i bought him from wards a science company and i have water dogs and he does no look like them at all;)
Callina Hi i got him as a juvinle in late january, he lives in a 25 gallon tank and his gills are the same they just dont look as long as they use to be i, feed him green night crawlers.
222224_181043941948621_100001290506479_498157_888112_n.jpg

THIS IS DRAGON :D

sorry i cant get a good pic of his tail my camera sucks =/

230589_180996851953330_100001290506479_497892_3061589_n.jpg

you should remove that gravel asap.

Why will he swallow it :confused:

Hi Nate,

can you provide a photo, please?

How old is your axie and what are the water parameters? What are his gills looking like and what are you feeding him?
There are many reasons for that. It can be quite normal (age, regenerating) or caused by bad water quality or diet.

@Boo Penguin: as you were told before, morphing is a very rare phenomenon!!! :angry:
It would be more helpful to think about the more obvious causes!
Wow the angry face was a bit much don't you think.

I know that axi's morphing is VERY rare... I've even told people so on other topics... but if this is actually a baby salamander then morphing would be NORMAL

I was only saying that it might be morphing IF it was not actually and axi

@Nate... lol thats good to hear... sorry if I sounded stupid but it was a viable possibility

Last edited:
Why will he swallow it :confused:

Nate, yes, yes he will / has. Can it hurt him? Yes, yes it can, and will.

you've been around these forums long enough to know that too i'd think, unless you come here and don't read anything!

So, yes, get rid of the gravel and replace with sand or simply go bare tank.

Re tail, it looks like a tail that has been nibbled upon ans is growing back to me. Does it have tank mates? One of mine seems to have a pechant for tail biting occasionally, and that what the tail looks like as it starts to grow back. looking at the other nicks on the tail i'd say it has been bitten at a bit either in your tank or somewhere else.

I have to use a divider sometime to give the tail time to heal.

Bren

Hi Nate,

your dargon is a cute little axie and I totally agree with Bren. :D

She (yes, it´s a female ;)) must be hurt by something and is regenerating her tail. :D

Tina

I agree with Tina and Bren. It looks like regeneration.

Also, that gravel can cause impaction, which can lead to death. If you don't believe it, search the forum for 'gravel impaction' and see for yourself.

Could be that the pet shop duped you and he's actually a baby salamander... in which case he might be morphing
Axolotls are salamanders. They just don't normaly metamorth and become adult salamanders. They are part of the mole salamander family.
Sam

THANKS !! i will remove the gravel emidately:D
AND WOW i did not know it was a girl !!!!!:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::proud:
Bren hi no she doesnt have any tank mates she all by her self:happy:
Boo Penguin u did not sound stupid at all ;) P.S your profile picture is really cute:happy:
I dought she hurt her self because theres nothing in the tank to hurt her.:confused:

In your second pic of Dragon, what is that in the upper left corner? Are those air bubbles from the filter? If so, your water flow is pretty high and this could be damaging Dragon. His fins are pretty delicate so it really doesn't take all that much to do damage. Plastic can damage it, a sharp edge on a filter can do damage, hides even.

If that is not the force of the filter. I would check that hide for jagged edges. I think I see a log in the background there, right? I see a snail shell too - even the open edge of that could do damage. Those other rocks in there could eventually cause problems too. Their size looks questionable. I would hate to read a post about Dragon having one stuck in his mouth or worse. ;)

Okay thanks dragon lady:D I already got rid of the gravel, and i dont have any snails so i dont know about that mabey it was in the gravel when i took it out of my old fish tank. Yes there is a log in the backround but its very smooth and it doesnt have any sharp edges and dragon never goes under it just beside it. Oh and the filter looked so strong because i was draining out some of the water to put new water in so it hit the water harder and when i fill it up you can barely tell its there because it doesnt makes bubbles or anything:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back