At what age is an axolotl considered an adult?

Mandy6

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mandy
I realized I've never known at what age an axie is considered an adult So is there a certain age?

Also is there a way to tell how old your axie is? I've had my oldest for four months and my youngest for only 10 days, but I don't know how old they were when I got them.

They both have dark tips on the ends of their toes, I read that they develop these when they are sexually mature?

I think the dark toe tip thing is a weird one - mine had dark toe tips WAY before they were adults, which then disappeared, then reappeared on Chester, but not Roscoe.

As far as when they are an adult - I guess when they are sexually mature is a good marker?

Both my big two are *ahem* definitely male and sexually mature as they went through a phase of leaving me slimy little presents which my boyfriend obviously found hilarious.

as mewsie said when they are seually mature is probably a good way to tell.
but in some ways most axolotls will never become adults because they never metamorth and become "adult" salamanders.
Sam:happy:

I think the dark toe tip thing is a weird one - mine had dark toe tips WAY before they were adults, which then disappeared, then reappeared on Chester, but not Roscoe.

The same thing happened with both of mine they had dark toes for a short while and then it just disappeared but my male is also definitely an adult and has also left me some slimey presents around the tank :p

He was just giving deeply of his inner self...hehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back