White eys

runic12

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Nick
Right I posted a few days ago about gills going white but now it seems they've shrunken, and I've treated them for it, they're in a room that is constantly 18 degrees C. But now I've noticed the eyes have started to go white and once again they're not taking food, I'm not sure what to do, any suggestions? If it's a fungus I've heard that salt baths can help but I'm not sure how they work so if that is an answer could you also explain that to me? Thanks!

What kind of food are you feeding? Are there multiple axolotls in the tank? How big is your tank? Do you test your water parameters?

Can you post a picture?

I'm feeding them bloodworms/Dillies/Cockles all freeze-dried, I like to give them a varied diet, and yeah I'm keeping two, the tank is about 30 gallons (i'm not totally sure as it was handmade by a local guy and I didn't pick it up so didn't get a chance to ask). I am going to do one now but my water has been fine before, I work at an aquarium so i'll take my water in on sunday when I go to work, I can't afford a kit right now.

It's like a cloudy white over the eyes, I tried taking a picture but the resolution on my camera is absolutely appalling so you can't make it out at all.

I used Myazin which is treatment for bacterial infections, I was told by a local aquarium shop owner that that would help with the gills

The foods that you listed are all devoid of nutrients. Freeze-drying often negates any nutrient content the item did have.

Try offering some food that has more nutritional content. Earthworms are best, especially given their calcium: phosphorus ratio. Sometimes cloudy eyes can be caused because of nutritional deficiencies.

Freeze dried anything is pretty much void of nutrition, as most of it is lost in the process. Earthworms are the best diet, but frozen bloodworms can be used sometimes as well.

Did you mean Mayacin for the infection? Most people tend to avoid medicines meant for fish when treating Axolotls, and I agree. I would discontinue use if you haven't already.

Could you please post some pics? Parameters would really help too. How often and how much water are you changing? Do you vacuum or spot clean daily or semi-daily?

Freeze dried food really does not provide much nutrition. I don't know what dillies or cockles are but I would recommend trying to find them both some nightcrawlers. If your garden is pesticide/chemical free, you can dig them up right in your yard. Otherwise, a bait shop should carry them or you can buy them in bulk online.

As for using Mayacin, I wouldn't until you know what you are dealing with. Aquarium shops tend to treat these guys like they are fish, which they are not. Some fish medications are deadly to axolotls - just a word of caution.

Edit: Sorry guys, but at least we seem to be on the same page in thoughts too! ;)

Last edited:
Okay I'll get parameters tomorrow as I have an extra shift and get back to you, and I'll try and get some food like you said, so should I just dig up some earthworms? Won't there be a parasite risk? And I'll stop using the treatment, thanks for the heads up! I

And I change 25% weekly and have a small filter, I clean out and vacuum when I do the water changes :)

Sorry for the late reply! I've been pretty busy

Just an update, i've also noticed some white growths on them, particularly the tail so I'm guessing fungus? I'm really worried! This all seems to have happened overnight :S However they are still eating which is a good sign

You can get earthworms from your garden as long as you can be positive they're free of fertilizers and pesticides. The risk of transmitting parasites is pretty minimal.

What do the growths look like? Fungus is pretty distinct in that it looks like cotton wool: fibrous tendrils.

It's like clumps of white on the tail, similar to that on the eyes, it does look similar to cotton wool

It definitely sounds like an infection of some sort. Can you post a picture?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back