Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl in new tank

Travis

Reaction score
Hey there,

I just put Jack into his new home, and I was wondering if this setup is okay for him at the moment. I know I need more hiding places for him, but does this look okay for now?

Also, does he look healthy? Hes been eating and no problems, i'm just wondering.

I just put him in the tank now, but hes not moving. Right when I put him in, he ran to that spot and has not moved, is this normal? Or is he really really stressed?

IMG00105-20110426-1623.jpg

IMG00106-20110426-1624.jpg

IMG00107-20110426-1627.jpg

Last edited:

smily sam

Reaction score
Hey there,

I just put Jack into his new home, and I was wondering if this setup is okay for him at the moment. I know I need more hiding places for him, but does this look okay for now?

Also, does he look healthy? Hes been eating and no problems, i'm just wondering.

I just put him in the tank now, but hes not moving. Right when I put him in, he ran to that spot and has not moved, is this normal? Or is he really really stressed?

img00107201104261627.jpg

img00106201104261624.jpg

img00105201104261623.jpg
axolotls don't really move that much
also i can't see any pics?
Sam

mewsie

Reaction score
My axolotls explore a lot too, Travis - but if I startle one of them they tend to dash to their cave and stay very, very still for a little while - probably to make me feel more guilty ;) Maybe he's just a little nervous, I'm sure he'll soon be mooching about again! Maybe you could try and add him a dark, safe place to go to for times like these?

It's good that you want to add more hides - more places to explore would be good, just to make it more interesting, but the tank does look fine for the moment, and you have a really sweet axolotl there ^_^

Last edited:

Travis

Reaction score
My axolotls explore a lot too, Travis - but if I startle one of them they tend to dash to their cave and stay very, very still for a little while - probably to make me feel more guilty ;)

It's good that you want to add more hides - more places to explore would be good, just to make it more interesting, but the tank does look fine for the moment, and you have a really sweet axolotl there ^_^

Yeah :) He did freak out quite a bit when I moved him, but he’s fine now and moving around, exploring his new home. :D I also noticed he’s digging a hole in the sand – which is very cute.

Jack says thanks :p When I got him from the fish store, they didn’t take great care of him, he had a total of 15 stones in him (they used gravel) but even when he’s clearly stressed, he would always come up for food, and would gently rest on my palm :) I’m very glad I got him now.

I’m thinking about adding some of those aquarium balls, I’ve seen an axolotl move them around, like a toy.

thanks.
is the tank he is in now cooler than the one he was in. the setup looks good. can you lower the light levals?

The tank he's in now is not cooler, it's about the same. It's at 74 F which I know is border line, so i'm going to get one of those tank fans, which drops the temp 1-2 C. the light was only on for the photo, I never have the light on, I heard axolotls don't like it. :)

mewsie

Reaction score
Sounds like you have great plans for the little guy! My big two were kept on gravel at the store too - and by me, until I found this forum!!

I LOVE marimo moss balls, they'd look awesome against that white sand, too :)

Glad hes getting back to normal, just part of settling in, I guess!

Travis

Reaction score
Sounds like you have great plans for the little guy! My big two were kept on gravel at the store too - and by me, until I found this forum!!

I LOVE marimo moss balls, they'd look awesome against that white sand, too :)

Glad hes getting back to normal, just part of settling in, I guess!

I would get marimo moss balls, but I really don't want cladophora. My father is dealing with that problem, and it's taking over his tank.

Cheylee

Reaction score
I had a moss ball in my tank when i first set it up but over time it fell apart. I just recently got a new one, so we'll how long this lasts. Lol. I really like the moss ball though. Lol it's a very surprising thing to people who don't know what it is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1