Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey All

pms17

Reaction score
Hi
I'm Pedro, from Portugal.
I have always been fascinated by amphibians and I am planing to buy and/or catch a two or three newts and take care of them!

Question: Can wild newts be kept in captivity (There is a place where I have found Lissotriton Boscai and Triturus Marmoratus)?

PS:If there is any english mistake, please tell me!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Pedro.

I cannot tell you which species are legal to keep in Portugal. Hopefully someone locally will chime in with what regulations are in your area. Azhael seems well-versed with laws in that area of the world, so you might contact him.

pms17

Reaction score
Thanks!
Well, wild Bosca's Newts can be kept but what I don't know is if wild newts behave the same way as the ones that were born already in captivity.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
For the most part, their activities are not altered by being in captivity.

The main difference will be that captive animals may begin to associate you with food, and 'beg' for food.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As far as i´m aware, the last i heard about portuguese laws was that all wild caudates were protected and therefore illegal to collect, but native species could be kept IF CB and with adequate documentation.
If you have collected L.boscai from the wild, please be aware that it´s illegal, and it´s so for a very good reason...

pms17

Reaction score
Althought I have been researching and havent found any laws agains keeping Lissotriton Boscai in Portugal, I am going to follow your advise (because you clearly know alot more than me about newts) and buy a breeder CB C. orientalis. I have read various threads about them and everyone says they are the best to keep!

Thanks for the info!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Try contacting a local organization (in Spain, the organism in charge is SEPRONA but i don´t know which one it is in Portugal although i heard of this: "instituto da conservação da natureza e biodiversidade"). They should be able to tell you about national laws, and also about possible regional restrictions.
I could be wrong, of course, but i really think that all wild portuguese caudates are fully protected.

You could keep L.boscai if you could proof they were CB, but otherwise it´s illegal. Also, as i said, consider that protections exist for a reason. Wild caudates need our help...if we collect them and deprive them of breeding in the wild, we are certainly not helping at all.
Sorry if i insist so much, i think it´s important.

As for the CB H.orientalis, i´m thrilled to see you are looking into CB animals (i really, really am xD) but i´m not sure H.orientalis is your best choice. CB animals of this species are not easy to come by and they are offered as juveniles. Raising them to adulthood is not easy....
I would advice you to consider other, easier, more readily available species, like Triturus cristatus, T.karelini, T.carnifex or T.dobrogicus, A.mexicanum, P.waltl (this one is native to Portugal too, so make sure your local laws allow for CB native species first)...In the other thread, Stavroske mentioned a list of suitable species.

Good luck! And be patient, there´s lots to do before you even start looking for your new newts!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!